1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What's that shit on Frank Beamer's face???

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by chris, Jan 3, 2005.

1. chris

chris Full Access Member

I aborted my children back in college.

2. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Full Access Member

^^Yea thats something to be proud of. Congrats. You are piece of work. Wishing death and injury on athletes and now making fun of a guy, that had an unfortunate accident, and is scarred for life because of it. Real big man you are.

3. chris

chris Full Access Member

Turd, lighten up man. I'm just fucking around.

4. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Hell of a coach. The Heels went after him HARD before they settled on Bunting

5. oceanchild

oceanchild Junior Member

from article:

"
    That was 1954, long before Virginia Tech's 53-year-old coach had any idea how he would make his living or that one day he would play for a national championship.

A long scar running down the right side of Beamer's neck is a reminder of that episode. Yet somehow, it wasn't until the spotlight landed on him that his own son learned the details.

''He didn't like to talk about it,'' said Shane Beamer, who doubles as the long snapper for the Hokies, ''and I didn't want to ask.''

It isn't hard to understand why.

Frank Beamer was an easygoing 7-year-old growing up on a farm in the tiny town of Fancy Gap, Va., the passageway between two Appalachian peaks. One day, after helping his own father burn a pile of trash, Frank carried a smoldering broom back into the garage. It ignited a can of gasoline, causing an explosion that left him with severe burns on the right side of his neck, shoulder and chest.

Beamer's older brother, Barnett, probably saved his life. He had the presence of mind to roll Frank in the dirt and extinguish the flames. But the suffering was only beginning.

Over the next four years, Beamer underwent 30 operations, most of them skin grafts that didn't take. But every time he began to feel sorry for himself, Beamer's mother, an elementary school teacher, made him walk down the hall at the hospital. He always found someone in worse shape. Those memories steeled him for nearly every challenge that followed.

''The doctors said he might be able to walk, but that he definitely was through with sports. He was determined to prove them wrong and he did,'' Shane said. ''If he tells you he's going to do something, whether it's golf or football or even cooking out, it will happen. I see that determination in him now more than anything.''

This sort of thing happens every so often at the national championship. A coach with a chance to validate his credentials by winning the biggest game of his career comes in with a reputation but turns out to be very different.

All season, as Virginia Tech erased opponents and critics, the pictures relayed from the sidelines and post-game interviews in Blacksburg, Va., made Beamer look like the most regular of regular guys. Quiet. Content with his good fortune. Hoping he had many years ahead on the job.

And yet from the moment Beamer arrived in Blacksburg in 1987, his determination simmered just below the surface.

He recruited the local kids that big programs overlooked and taught them to overachieve. He hired defensive whiz Phil Elmassian a half-dozen years ago and gave him the freedom to play an attacking style. It became known as Beamer Ball, and soon other colleges were trying to imitate it.

Beamer told reporters who showed up for his first news conference at Virginia Tech that he would be playing for a national title. They snickered, but after seven straight bowl appearances, he's the one laughing now.

''I may be from a small town,'' Beamer said not long after his arrival in the Big Easy, ''but I don't think I've ever thought small.''

After that day in 1954, he could hardly afford to.

Beamer went on to play the games the doctors said he would not, and hasn't quit exceeding expectations since. He was a star quarterback in high school, a 5-foot-9, 170-pound starter at defensive back for Virginia Tech in the mid-1960s and the coach at Murray State. He then returned home to inherit a program the NCAA had just put on probation.

Beamer started in a rut and hit a handful of others on the way. He lost five of his first six games against rival Virginia. In his sixth year, he went 2-8-1 and learned that he wasn't the only one suffering the consequences.

Shane and daughter Casey caught flak from schoolmates and his wife, Cheryl, heard about her husband's shortcomings in the grocery aisles. When the phone started ringing at home, it bothered Beamer more than the losses.

''If they wanted to write him or call him, that's the way he wanted it to happen,'' Cheryl Beamer recalled. ''I was naive. I thought everybody was nice. So I had our number unlisted.'' Everybody knows where to find Beamer these days. He'll be the coach on the sideline at the Sugar Bowl looking calmer than he has a right to be.

"

6. Bunky

Bunky .

ban oceanchild.

7. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Bolt Up

:lmao:

8. dbj70

dbj70 Full Access Member

there is a player on VaTech take had gotten burns and a skin graph while saving his family or something to that effect while in high school. Beamer helped him threw that situation. Espn last week.

9. Collin

Collin soap and water

Like it or not, it is funny. I still say the funniest thing that I ever saw was an old lady in a wheelchair rolling backwards out of control down a mall slope (her daughter or whoever was running after her and she didn't get hurt). Sure, it was wrong and I should feel despicable for laughing about it, but it was god damned funny. So is that thing on Frank Beamer's face. It would be funny (or funnier, depending upon the audience) on my face too.

I thought it might be a goiter or something. I always wondered what one looked like since that episode of Seinfeld.

10. The_professor

The_professor ★☆☆☆

what an assface