1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

WFNZ-610AM Version 7.0 to debut 6/16/14

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by sds70, Jun 2, 2014.

1. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

Already hearing the commercials pimping the new WFNZ-610am LINEUP that debuts on 6/16/14 . . . I guess this is when the new hosts of THE DRIVE (2-7pm) will debut . . . I wonder how long all of the show hosts will have to refer to themselves as the new WFNZ-610AM . . . 6 months at least :D :D ? ? ?

2. Odin

Odin Full Access Member

3-7 weekdays :
    The Collin and T-Bone Show

Daily Schedule : (365 days a year)

3-4 : Who's better in Hoops : Carolina or Duke
    4-5 : Next year's Duke and Carolina recruits
    5-6 : Who's the better coach : Roy or K
    6-6:30 : Pro Wrestling
    6:30-6:40 : Panthers Talk
    6:40-7:00 : QCB whiner line

3. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

Collin is unlistenable and T-Bone (seriously, what adult allows themselves to be called "Boney") is just a mindless chuckle-head. I hope that the drivetime slot will be assigned to legitimate sportstalk talent.

4. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

730 AM is barely listenable as well. Drove my daughters car today and had to listen to that

5. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

New drinking game: Take a drink of beer every time Bobby Rosinski says, "as well." I honestly don't think he can string three sentences together without saying it.

6. Odin

Odin Full Access Member

In Charlotte, we like to think of ourselves as a major US city ; yet we consistently hire these backwoods yokels as radio hosts to provide "local flavor"...you know, yucking it up about nascar and Rick Flair.

Just for once, I'd like for them to hire a professional sports talk team, who:
    A. Can talk about all sports ( yes, that includes baseball, soccer, and Hockey) intelligently
    B. Can bring us guests with actual information and insight
    C. Does NOT rely on god-awful caller based format. (I don't care AT ALL what that idiot Duke fan thinks about Carolina....just give me news and updates about teams and players)

7. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Agreed. If not just give me espn radio

8. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

I don`t mind the local people, but they still have plenty of time for the all around sports news if they`d just do it.

9. chris

chris Full Access Member

The problem w/ any local sports talk radio show is that they allow too many callers on air.

When you have callers with their nicknames constantly taking up airtime, it makes for a bad product.

I understand they need to generate content, but 99% of all callers are horrible.

10. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

From today's Media Notes column in today's Observer (6/13/14):

Monday will be shakeup day in Charlotte sports radio. Former Panthers general manager Marty Hurney will become co-host with Al Gardner on “Hurney and Gardner” 1-3 p.m. weekdays on WZGV-AM (ESPN 730). Hurney, fired in October 2012 after more than 10 years as the Panthers’ general manager, has been serving as guest analyst on ESPN’s “NFL Insiders” since March. WZGV general manager Lanny Ford said that “The Pulse” with Bobby Rosinski and Chris Allison will add an hour and air daily 3-7 p.m. … Meanwhile, at rival WFNZ-AM (“Fan” 610), general manager D.J. Stout is expected Monday to announce two new local shows – one 10 a.m.-noon and an afternoon drive-time show to replace Marc James, who left to take a talk show in Atlanta. Frank Garcia and Mark Yarbrough, who had been doing “Bustin’ Loose” 10 a.m.-noon are expected to stay and move to noon-3 p.m. …

So it looks like again WFNZ 610 AM is going to have 4 local shows in its lineup. But considering how small their stick is (5k watts during the day) and they have a small reach outside of CLT proper, I wonder how long this is gonna last until they are forced 'again' to cut overhead and shrink the lineup? I mean why let Brett Jensen go several months ago, shrink the WFNZ Lineup (for a few months) and then bring in someone else now to replace him? I guess DJ Stout (WFNZ Ops Manager) hired some cheap guys to take Brett Jensen and Marc James (and Taylor Zarzour to a certain degree) place now starting on Monday (6/16)