1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Weinke welcomes promotion to backup

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by QC REPRESENT, Jun 2, 2005.

1. QC REPRESENT

QC REPRESENT Full Access Member

Posted on Thu, Jun. 02, 2005

Weinke welcomes promotion to backup

QB says move provides chance to prove himself

STAN OLSON

Staff Writer

Chris Weinke was standing in the rain, the drops falling from the football helmet pushed back on his head. Sometimes Weinke must feel as if he's been standing in the rain forever.

But not Wednesday morning, following the completion of the first of the Carolina Panthers' voluntary June workouts. Weinke, long the forgotten quarterback of this team, is now very much in the coaches' plans again.

The offense, of course, still belongs to quarterback Jake Delhomme. But now, Weinke finds himself second-in-command, a turned ankle or strained ligament from stepping under center.

It's a sudden change, spurred by the decision of former No. 2 Rodney Peete to give up football for a TV career. When that happened, there was talk the Panthers might look for another veteran, but nothing was done. And Weinke, after two seasons of being that inactive third quarterback, climbed up the depth chart.

"No one really knew what was going to take place," Weinke said, standing on the Bank of America practice field in the drizzle. "The word was that they would cut Rodney and bring him back, and that didn't work out.

"I also think it's a situation where they've seen me practice for the last two or three years and understand that I've progressed a lot, and just throughout the last few preseasons and the last two-three years of practicing, I think they see that I can get it done."

Weinke had started as a rookie, during that abysmal 1-15 season of 2001. Then coach John Fox and a new administration had taken over, and although Weinke had shown sparks of talent in a number of exhibitions, first Peete and then Delhomme had been the choice. Weinke found himself holding the clipboard and perhaps wondering if his chance would ever come.

Did he ever yearn for a fresh start elsewhere?

"I'd be lying if I said no," Weinke said. "The competitor in me says `yeah, I want to go out, and I feel like I'm capable of starting in this league.' But I also understand that this is a pretty good situation here. It's a great organization with a great coaching staff and a lot of good guys on the team. So the grass isn't always greener on the other side, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to start in this league."

And yet there were no complaints. Weinke remained the good soldier, staying in shape and pushing through practice day after day. The coaches took note and appreciated it.

"Chris has worked very hard for this opportunity," Fox said. "He weathered some tough times that he handled like a pro."

Weinke said, "I didn't think I was going to get any further ahead if I sat and complained about my situation. They asked me to come out and compete every day and I've done that. I've done that since the day I lost the starting job, and I've kept that same approach and feel like it's helped me as a player."

As Weinke spoke, you noticed his left wristband covered with columns of printing under clear plastic. The list of plays he would call in practice, now more relevant.

He'll be 33 this summer, his football career slowed by six years of pro baseball. But he doesn't feel old, he says. He'll be an unrestricted free agent after this season, and more than anything, you get the feeling that he thinks he's ready.

"When you're the No. 2 guy, the opportunity is always there," he said. "You would never want anything to happen to the starter, but if it does, you've got to be ready to play."

For now, he's waiting for whatever his career will bring.

"I can't see the future," he said. "But I've got the confidence in myself to be able think that I can start in this league, and my career is far from over."

2. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

It would be interesting to see what he can do if he does have to play. He has looked good in the preseasons. I am glad that he is the back up instead of Peete now. I think he gives us a better chance to win. I do not want Jake to miss any time but I almost hope Weinkie gets a chance to play so he can showcase himself to some other teams for next year.