1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

UNCC Chancellor Ponders Football

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by sds70, Feb 12, 2007.

1. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

That guy and Spangler are the boils on the heads of the absesses on the penises of society. Anybody that tells a Charlotte student that it they want football they should just go to Raleigh or Chapel Hill can suck the big one and go to hell for all I'm concerned. I wonder how much money those fuckers have given to CH athletics? Are they in the Rams Club? No need to answer.

2. chipshotx

chipshotx Full Access Member

uhhhh no...having a local team to cover would be in their best interest

maybe, just maybe they simply doubt it's feasability

3. VA49er

That hasn't been the case with basketball.

There's more to it than that and it probably has a lot to do with University politics. Dubois likes to pander to the big shots in Raleigh and some of that is to be expected but too much is just jock sniffing and asinine. It's time for Charlotte to stand on it's own. UNCP can start football but Charlotte can't? This is about rocking the boat and Chapel Hill Phil doesn't want to rock anything. Also, the O didn't want us to join CUSA back in the day either. I wonder why that was?

4. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

Based simply on the fact that its going to cost money?

Lets face it, less folks care about UNCC in the A-10 vs. C-USA (at least folks halfway cared when we played Louisville, Cincinnati, & Depaul). There is nothing to do around campus during the Fall, nothing to energize alumni/students/teachers. Starting football (realzing that yessss, were not going to be even a major I-AA power at the start) but at least its a start. Hell, look at UCONN (started off at I-AA, moved up to I-A and the BIG EAST in football). Now tell me again why I-F we did everything right in building the program, we couldn't do the same thing? In the long term, I'm more excited about the chance of UNCC playing in a bigger conference in 10-15 years vs. hanging around in the A-10 or another mid level conference for the rest of my life.

Think about it, wouldn't HALTON ARENA sell out more if we were playing Georgetown, UCONN, Syracuse or St. Johns in January or Februrary in Hoops vs. St. Bonaventure or Duqense? Wouldn't it be exciting if in 10 years UNCC students/alumni on a Friday afternoon would be getting stoked about playing West Virgina at _______ Field at high noon on ESPN? Or students planning an all night drive up to Pittsburgh for a Sat. afternoon game against the Panthers at HEINZ FIELD? Those are the things that UNCC students/alumni dont' experience right now because we don't have football!!!!!!!!

THE BOTTOM LINE: I would rather dream big and think about what 'can' happen with bringing football to UNCC vs. staying on the sidelines and saying 'Oh, we can't do it!!!!!'. Especially when I see other schools (some of them smaller) starting programs (again, Georgia State, UNC-Pembroke, etc.). Are we so skeered at upsetting the current power structure of the UNC System by starting football? It sounds like to me that UNC & State like being the 2 big dogs athletically in the state and they don't want anybody hogging their spotlight. I mean, they wouldn't even stand up for ECU getting into the ACC while Virginia helped to get VA TECH in? That should tell you everything right there that they want the power structure to be Carolina/State and then everybody else!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  5. VA49er

SDS, in the end this is more about keeping little 'ol Charlotte in its place as to not challenge the states two larger institutions. Chapel Hill Phil is a puppet.

6. chipshotx

lol...Dick Cheney must be involved

Does he have ties to State or UNC? Why would he be a puppet for any school other than the one he is Chancellor of? It makes no sense.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  7. VA49er

Nobody is shooting anybody.

There is definitely politics involved. I believe Charlotte is almost dead last in per student funding even though it is the 4th largest school in the system and yet Chapel Hill gets money to expand Keenan? WTF? How is that explained? The folks in the legislature are Chapel Hill and NC State grads.

8. chipshotx

Why would your Chancellor be in on that?

9. VA49er

Politics. He, in his own mind, has to curry favor with the powers that be in Raleigh in order to get what he needs in Charlotte. Adding football would significantly rock the boat as well as a school name change. If he went full blast with either he would piss off some of the power brokers in Raleigh. I can understand the politics a little but there comes a time when we just have to say fuck off to Chapel Hill and NC State.

10. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

If I'm reading the article right, it'll cost about $40-50 million to start football. Can Charlotte raise that from their donors?