1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Toney Baker

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by mathmajors, Dec 20, 2004.

1. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Full Access Member

yeah, why does JB pull scholly's from verbal commitments? He's done that every single year. If you ask me it's pretty fucked up.

2. Piper

Piper phishin member

Overall, Bunting is getting abused by, well, everyone. He needs to find a new proffession.

3. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

because he told Payton when he was offered the scholarship that it was conditional. He said if Player 1 or Player 2 doesn't come here we have a spot for you." and Payton accepted. One of those guys came to Carolina, so the scholarship is no longer there. EVERY coach does that.

4. AlphaWolf

I don't think every coach does that. Chuck Amato has never had to pull a scholarship offer from a verbal commitment due to someone else signing. And JB should have known they weren't getting Baker for sure cause he had is mind made up to go to Raleigh months ago.

5. The Brain

No one knew about Baker's decision until the day of. It was up in the air until then. There were hints sure, but there was still the possibility for Hardesty as well for UNC, and if Chuck hasn't yet he will eventually.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  6. AlphaWolf

Trust me, Toney Baker told Chuck Amato that he was coming to NC State back in late november early december. That's why we backed off Richie Rich and Montario Hardesy. Toney Baker himself said his mind was made up way back then. Read up on any interview with Toney Baker after his commitment and you'll see.

7. The Brain

yeah I know he said that, but does that mean he told Bunting a month ago?

8. Piper

Piper phishin member

I'm pretty sure Amato would prefer he didn't.

That's an old game. If you have one in the bag, and willing to play this game, its nice for them not to committ. Keeps the real hounds off the player with negative recruiting, and keeps others spinning their wheels.

With Beamer, Fulmer, Amato, Groh, and Spurrier all in the region, Bunting is really really getting squeezed.

9. AlphaWolf

No, it doesn't mean that Baker told Bunting a month ago. I was just trying to point out there that Toney Baker has been NC State's for a long time now, just waited to go public on it.
    And about JB offering "conditional" scholarships, his practice of this is getting noticed by many many people. Sure other coaches may do a similar thing, but Bunting is getting known around the ACC and the region for pulling offers from kids who have already commited. Whatever way he's doing it is the wrong way and it is becoming more and more public and hurt's UNC-Ch's relationship with high school coaches in the area. Maybe Chuck is a better recruiter than JB, I dont know, but that can't be the only reason that NC State constantly gets the State's top prospects when only a few short years ago they all went to chapel hill.

10. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

ole school indeed.........bunting's lucky to be coaching D1 anyways