1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The coach wants to see you and bring your playbook

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by T_Schroll, Feb 19, 2002.

1. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

We're seven million over the cap and have two weeks to get under before free agency starts. Who gets cut and who gets restructured? Better yet, who, if any one, do we go after in free agency?

2. Piper

Piper Guest

Biak, Peter (retired, but not official yet), Wells, and Hitch get cut.

That will leave us with around 2.5 million to cut.

Next in line is either Walls or Donnaley to be cut, or restructure Evans. And that's just to get under. I think we will restructure Evans, and my guess is Donnaley will be gone. We will then have enough money to hold RFA like Navies and go after 1 or two mid-priced FA, but no one real pricey. We'll need a linebacker. I wanted Farrior, but I don't think we will be able to afford him. I wonder what Buffalo is going to do with Cowart? Last I heard, they were going to F-tag him.

3. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i've read two things about the panthers cap situation:

* the panthers have about $68.5 million committed to the 2002 salary cap, which is expected to be about $72 million.

* the panthers have to trim about $6.5 million in salary-cap obligations to get to the $72 million limit.

some cap figures for 2002:

Gilbert $10.21 million
    Evans $7.452
    Hitchcock $4.32 million
    Biakabtuka $2.725 million
    Peter $2.065 million
    Wells $1.69 million
    Huntley $850,000

also, on marc 1, the first day of free agency, roster bonuses go out. evans and walls each are scheduled to earn $1 million bonuses. wells is slated to receive $200,000. gilbert is scheduled to receive a $1.5 million bonus March 1 and another $1 million April 1. Hitchcock is scheduled to receive $500,000 March 15. the panthers have until March 15 to pay $2.5 million to steussie for an option on 2005 and 2006.

4. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I also read somewhere Walls may be gone too... any truth to that??

5. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

Better than T-bagging him I guess.

6. Piper

Piper Guest

Tim to be released

Bye Tim

Article also says that among other veterans, Hitch (expected) and Evans may be gone. I've been clamoring for Jimmy's head, but do we get any space for Doug? Not that he was stellar, despite the INTs he was burned a lot.

If true, tradedown possibilities loom large. We'll need a corner, either in round 1 or 2.

I personally have always like Rumph, he fits in at #34.

7. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I'm hoping they can get Doug to restructure his contract I feel like we'll need him at least one more year and look to get a CB in about the 3rd round... that way he will have a year under his belt before having to play full time next.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I didn't know about Gilbert's bonus. He's gone.
    I've been worried about Steussie's bonus. But if we don't pay it we've gotta deal with his 5 years of unpaid bonus...which is more. Wells, Peter make for quick and easy cuts...Williams might join the pile for $1.6 more.