1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The BCS National Championship Tournament

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by The Warden, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Collin

Collin soap and water

If you had taken any math class higher than algebra, you'd know that results become more accurate over a larger sample.

2. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Stinky

Doesn't change the fact that 1 upset loss could keep them out of the playoff. Just the same as an upset loss in a playoff game keeps a team from winning the championship.

3. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

Exactly upsets happen. Villanova beating Georgetown comes to mind. Georgetown was favored yet lost. I like that 4 teams have a chance to win

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

Only one loss during the regular season has rarely kept teams out of the national championship game. Every time you post you illustrate that you know nothing about sports and have poor reasoning ability, you just like to talk shit to other people.

You like it because your mind is too small to comprehend the ramifications.

5. PantherPaul

Now that's the Collin I remember. Too pig headed to allow for a difference of opinion and too naive to accept that making more money by auctioning off a championship game site was what driving the playoffs not the fact most fans wanted it

6. karlrocket

karlrocket Full Access Member

In reality, not much really changed. Two, so-called traditionally important bowls became more important each year, & two more teams get a shot at the title.

7. Collin

Collin soap and water

Pretty sure I've been saying for a long time that a playoff would make a ton of money, especially when some of the clowns in this thread were hilariously claiming that money was why a playoff hadn't happened.

Non-conference schedules will get worse since you only have to finish top four now instead of top two, and as noted, going undefeated in the regular season no longer means anything at all. It's ridiculous that there's no advantage to being the #1 seed as opposed to the #4. They're undermining the regular season.

8. PantherPaul

I'm pretty sure I have never said money is the reason why playoffs would ever occur. I haven't read how the 4 teams would be selected but I would assume the polls have to be part of the equation. So yes I could see teams scheduling cupcakes but since conferences are getting bigger where are teams going to schedule them other than on homecoming games? That and if teams feast on crap teams I would think that would bite them in the ass when they play legit teams.

9. Collin

Collin soap and water

You said I was "too naive to accept that making more money by auctioning off a championship game site was what driving the playoffs," when as noted, I'd been pointing out the money a playoff could make for a long time. In the future, just assume that every thought you've ever had in your entire life is one that has already occurred to me.

Conferences getting larger doesn't change the number of conference games on the schedule, PP. Teams don't play everyone else in their conference each season. And playing crap teams actually helps against better competition at other points in the season because you're not as worn down and injured.

This all comes down to the general public being too small-minded to comprehend anything other than a playoff format, which is why so many buffoons kept saying "every other sport does it!!!" In the course of these arguments I've shown many times that playoffs are actually horrendous for determining a "best team," and they always devalue the regular season. The trade-off is that playoffs do provide concentrated interest and excitement, plus fans always like more teams being allowed into a playoff format because so many are delusional enough to believe that they'll win if they can just get in (same reason people gamble or buy lottery tickets). This sucks for college football just as expansion of the NCAA tournament has been terrible for college basketball, yet appealing to the ignorant masses has been an inexorable trend not only in sports but society in general.

10. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

I disagree.