1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

The BCS National Championship Tournament

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by The Warden, Dec 5, 2011.

1. The Warden

The Warden Full Access Member

You remind me of the baby in the Capital One commercials with Jimmy Fallon. Everyone wants 50% more cash, the baby doesn't. Everyone wants a playoff, you (a crying baby) do not.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

I like how you can't think up a rebuttal to the fact that the championship was already decided "on the field." And the majority want a playoff because the majority are idiots. I wouldn't be in the 99th percentile if the rest of you weren't as dumb as you are.

3. The Warden

Here you go.

Yes, the national championship game was settled on the field. However, many people didn't have faith or confidence in the BCS to determine the rightful contestants to compete for the national championship. In many seasons there were several teams that had rightful claims to be in the BCS National Championship game and thought there should be a playoff to determine the rightful contestants.

In the 2011 season, many thought Alabama had their chance, but blew it in the loss to LSU - thus Oklahoma State or Oregon should have had better consideration to play LSU. If a playoff would have been in place, the debate would have been put to rest on the field, instead of continuing to fuel chat room/message board fodder.

In an ESPN SportsNation fan poll on the night of the 2011-2012 BCS National Championship game, 84% percent WANT a playoff system to determine the national champion. In today's ESPN SportsNation fan poll, 82% percent said that it is the right move.

And yet, it will not change your mind. But yet, the fans wanted it and the fans got it. The college football playoffs are coming - get ready.

4. Black&Blue_

Black&Blue_ _

It's all entertainment now. Making it into a football argument is obsolete.

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

Guess what? A committee will determine the four playoff entrants, so there will be just as much controversy as before and quite possibly more. It's far less clear who the 4th best team is in any given year than the second. Even though I didn't want a rematch, didn't everyone pretty much agree that LSU and Alabama were the best two teams last season? Auburn and Oregon were obviously the best two teams in 2010 as well. Ditto for Alabama and Texas in 2009. You have to go back to 2008 for a time when the top two teams weren't clear. Meanwhile I suggest that you go back and look at previous years to figure out who the fourth team should be. That's going to be a mess with two to five teams per season bitching endlessly about being left out.

Please don't post about college football since you're so incredibly ignorant about it. You didn't even know enough to realize that Oregon already had two losses last season and was not a consideration for the national championship game. Meanwhile, as noted, everyone agreed that LSU & Alabama were the two best teams even though I personally didn't want to see rematch.

You just got through admitting that the BCS championship was settled on the field. Stop talking about how it needs to be settled "on the field" when it already was. Obviously you think Oregon might have been able to win a playoff, but they would not have been in top four for 2011, so what does that tell you? This solves nothing because there will be the same controversy about who gets selected, only you've devalued the regular season. And what's the problem with "chat room/message board fodder"? College football is the most popular sport in America (if you judge by total attendance or total TV viewership), so it clearly wasn't broken. Why change?

Again, you and the people like you don't know what's best for yourselves. The majority voted an inexperienced community organizer to be president, after all. Like I told you, I wouldn't be 99th percentile if people like you had a brain like mine. I get things that you can't comprehend, which frankly is why I should be making decisions for you.

6. The Warden

Thank God you don't make decisions for other than yourself.

I manage just fine. But again.....

The playoffs are coming...

The Playoffs Are Coming.......

THE PLAYOFFS ARE COMING!!!!!!!!

Choke on it Bitch.

7. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

I welcome the change.

I did not vote for Barrack Obama. :patriot:

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

Choke on what, though? The chaos this is going to cause will prove me definitively correct in ways that my oratory never could. You don't understand how often this happens in my life where I tell people the consequences of their proposals and why they shouldn't do it, only to watch them resent me for being correct once I'm proven so. Oh well.

9. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

Yeah, me too.

10. karlrocket

karlrocket Full Access Member

I think most people like the change. It will certainly generate more interest & debate with two more teams getting into the mix. The possibility has existed that more than 2 teams could finish the regular-season undefeated and I think all undefeated teams should settle it on the field. There's also a possibility that no teams go undefeated, and you are left with several 1-loss teams at the end. I think 4 is enough, but if it goes to 8, I'm all for it. Already, cities are lining up for bidding on the championship game. The bowls that have the semi-final games each year will be more important also, and generate more nationwide interest as well. They're saying that winning a conference championship will have more importance in the new playoff system, so you may not see a team like Alabama (didn't win their division or play for the SEC Title) have a shot in the future. I like that also. Makes that regular season game actually more important.
    I think the entire bowl system needs some change. 7 wins should be the minimum amount of wins to be bowl eligible, and maybe cut down the number of bowl games overall also.