1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Spoon and Foster or Shaun Alexander

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by cantgetright, Jan 23, 2006.

1. cantgetright

cantgetright Full Access Member

If we had a choice and the contracts were even which would it be?

I personally would take Shaun Alexander and have Thomas Davis replace "Spoon".

Normally I wouldn't say that one player is better than 2 but, with our offense we need a true Stud RB and I think the upgrade at that position would more than make up for the drop at WLB with Davis.......

2. Proprietor

Proprietor Family feeder

Here's what we need to do:

Find a back who wants to play 16 games. That, or quit marching the ones we have into the ground, as it appears the latter is the case.

3. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

We already went down this road with Moose or Wahle and Lucas. Quantity verses quality. They will lose Hutchinson (OG) due to having to put so much into Alexander and that will hurt. But then again the Colts figured out how to resign Manning and Harrisonand a 1 year deal with Edgerrin to keep them together. :1peekdoor

4. cantgetright

cantgetright Full Access Member

Wahle and Lucas vs. Moose was a no brainer. I'm talking about the best RB in the NFL vs. a very solid lb'er and a possible 1200 yard back- that has played about a seasons worth of games over a 4 year period because he can't stay healthy. Totally different scenario.

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    the only problem with most of this is it's not an equation of "moose v/s Wahle and Lucas." Muhammad would've cost about what one of them cost, and since we can all add, I have absolutely no idea why people think that not signing Muhammad allowed us to sign two very expensive free agents.

As with that, Witherspoon and Foster have unidentified worth, and so does Alexander. You can make comparisons here or there and suggest what each is worth, potentially, but I don't think it adds up that way. You can't just come up with random equations like that and have it make sense.

6. Proprietor

Proprietor Family feeder

I think the point was, which of these combinations would you prefer:

Moose/Lucas
    Moose/Wahle
    Lucas/Wahle

Considering Smitty's recovery, I like the choice we made. We need another WR. The offense is incomplete.

7. The_professor

The_professor ★☆☆☆

yes

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

that's still not Moose = Lucas and Wahle. That suggests we had the choice of keeping Muhsin, or getting two free agents. Moose = one of them. We did well spending on younger players that fit what we wanted, rather than paying for a level of play we didn't need out of that 2nd guy. It worked out great for us. But getting one player for $30 million, or getting two guys who each got $30 million, isn't equatable.

9. THE GUTTER

THE GUTTER Y!

Alexander is not fucking going to be available. I am so sick of ESPN sometimes and the damn internet. Why in the world would they not resign him? Sure he is going to be expensive, but he is arguably the best RB in the league. Seattle gains absolutely nothing by letting him go.

If Foster realizes he can't get the enormous contract b/c of his health issues and resigns for a reasonable amount of dough I am cool with that. The big question is what is Stepen Davis gonna do and where is Eric Shelton in his development to be a contributor. And keep Goings.

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

I've suggested a couple times now that signing a back of Alexander's age makes absolutely no sense considering how many blasted the idea of keeping Muhammad at 32. Alexander would have two good seasons in this offense at most, and yet you'd have to pay him for at least 3-4 and eat cap in the 5th. All at premium salary.