1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Sony / Pentax Thread (Sony's new full frame 24mpix for $2k, +rumored 35 MP fullframe)

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by magnus, May 18, 2009.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    ...because I need two threads just for me, I guess.

But, since Canikon shooters are pretty plentiful, and Sony stuff is in transition (four new models last year, apparently willing to push 3 more this year, releasing a ton of new lenses, and a solid 3rd in the market), I kinda want to track what they're doing. If no interest I can fold it in with my buyer's guide/whining/wish list thread.

Anyway, looks like they've released four new entry-level lenses. The kit lens they used to push - 18-70 DT - was a Minolta holdover, now replaced by an 18-55 (and they're going to standardize the second lens in the kit with a 55-200 instead of the 70-300*). They're also updating the 55-200 DT.

They're also shipping two primes this week 50/1.8 and 30/2.8 1:1 macro (2cm minimum range).
    the macros are shipping with the in-lens motors (their designation, Smooth Autofocus Motor/SAM) , which pushes speculation that their entry level a200 replacement will come without a motor in the body. The 50/1.8 is a pretty standard lens, but they'd stuck with only the old (and great) 50/1.4 to now, which left a lot of consumers going for the secondhand 50/1.7 Minolta - which is what I did. The 50/1.8 is obviously aimed at that.

Those new bodies are going to be pushed out soon, not sure if they're pushing sensor size up or anything. I've read they have no plans on pushing out a body with video this year, or updating the live view (which they do best in class with live view, IMO).

The lenses are interesting, since up to now they've relied on the highest-end lenses to develop - the Carl Zeiss lenses, the 70-300G, and the award winning 70-400G. To follow that they're updating the 70-200, where all the big tele primes are still carryovers from Minolta. Up to now, they hadn't produced new kit or prime lenses with their name, either.

*(sds)Are kits going to that more? I'd say it was a reaction to the smaller APS-C sensor but that's been out a while. The 35mm equivalent of an 18-200two lens kit puts you at 300mm, but last year most were still pushing the 18-300 two lens kits.(/sds)

2. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

pentax hijack

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

you shooting pentax?

you're free to talk here, too, of course. We can just make it an anti-Canikon thread.

4. dig-it

The Pentax k10, right now I have a Tamron 90mm/ macro attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

are pentax image stabilized in the body? where else do you feel they're giving you the performance you want?

6. dig-it

Yes, its a body IS system that allows any Pentax lens made in the last few decades to be used.
    The body is weather sealed, but only a couple of the latest lens are weather sealed.
    Pentax has an array of prime glass, none of which I have invested in.
    The model I have will have back focus issues as well as the AF having a really hard time in low light situations.

Pentax is also known for giving a truer color rendition than some brands because they are setup with less in camera processing. The camera modes can be adjusted to give the desired extra sharpness and color saturation.
    The camera feels very hefty and solid in hand. The odd thing is that a couple of the prime lens are pancake style that, to my understanding, don`t even have a focus ring and are strictly for auto-focus.
    Overall its a very nice system that has left plenty of room for some improving. A new model is due out in a month or so that addresses some of the shortfalls that are in mine.
    The thing is, a good pic taker can use a Brownie and still turn out excellent work. Just keep taking lots and lots of images. Eye and composition will develope over time(not in my case) and soon you`ll be throwing away images that other people would easily pay for.

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

yeah, I made my decision for Sony for in-body IS as well, and I loved the value that Minolta glass gives me. So I can use real, vintage, glass and metal lenses (and still have IS) for a fraction of what it'd cost me to use plastic/plastic non-IS lenses from one of the main two. Old Minolta optics, which were fantastic, and new Sony sensors (Sony makes most of the market's sensors, and makes the largest in the business) sounded like a perfect match for me, and so far it has been.

I also loved their Live View, which is best in class, but I admit to a point that while it has its place in composing, and that the foldout screen helps for getting over walls and in tight spaces, that obviously I shoot almost always from the viewfinder, and Sony lags behind there (.74x magnification in the viewfinder, and it's a little darker).

As for the primes, I'm a heavy advocate of it (and not just because I'm fat). I only own one right now, but mostly because I could find no proper reason to fit more in, so far.

8. dig-it

Here is one of the pancake primes(40mm) that Pentax uses. Just looks odd to me.

[​IMG]

Here is my current dream lens that still is attainable. ($800)
    50-135mm with a constant f2.8

[​IMG]

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

I've seen some of Pentax' long lenses. $800 for a telephoto 2.8's not bad. You can get a Sigma SSM APO 70-200/2.8 for that price and have more reach, though. I've heard the old Minolta 70-210/4 I'm getting next is as good as any short of the Sony 70-210 G, that with the others I'm just missing the extra stop.

That pancake 40 is weird, though. I don't really get the point - hell any prime under 85 is really, really compact anyway.

10. magnus

magnus Chump-proof