1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Short Track Speed Skating

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by meatpile, Feb 20, 2002.

1. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

This sport is cool as shit. I'd never even heard of it until the Olympics....

So - I'll be watching tonight.

2. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

it's like nascar on ice. with no cars. and on skates. and no sponsors. and no beer in the stands. and no 'necks.

well, maybe it's not a lot like nascar, but it's the best the olympics can do. like they are racing at bristol.

it kinda pissed me off that you can be yards away from gold and have some 16-yea-old grab your knee and you lose. no do-overs or DQs.

but it keeps you watching until the end.

3. meatpile

meatpile 7-9

It's like Nascar on Crack - it's over fast and leaves you craving more.

Yeah - It sucked that he fell, but if he'd been a few inches faster, he wouldn't have tripped.

He shoulda skated faster....

4. Y2Buddy

Y2Buddy Guest

Yea, my wife said it's like NASCAR too. That was great when 4 out of 5 wiped out and the guy in 5th takes the gold.

Actuallly, I heard the announcer say that if the judges so choose, they can have them race again. Imagine THAT rule in NASCAR

5. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

yeah but wouldn't you know -

the guy in fifth place was from Australia. ( he lucked into the final because of another crash as well).

the official to decide if they should race over?

Also from Australia.

Only in the Olympics.:rolleyes:

The Ohno kid really impressed me though. Not only because of how good he skated but because of the way he didn't cop an attitude about getting jobbed; an attitude he had a right too if he so chose.

He would make a great NASCAR driver - He got put into the wall and basically shrugged it off by saying -"that's racin"

6. Two reasons to not cop an 'tude:

a. He's been doing it a long time. It's part of the game. People fall. I'm sure he's won his share of races because somebody fell.

b. It's speed skating. I mean, what's he gonna do with a friggin medal? He's infinitely more popular for having been "taken out" than he would have ever been if he'd won it. Ask Sale and Pelletier about controversy and career management...