1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

saving cap room for 2008

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by LarryD, Mar 12, 2007.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

is it possible the panthers are eyeing free agents in NEXT year's class, so they're not going to max out the cap in 2007 to be ready with a bunch of dough in 2008?

i can't find the list of 2008 free agents.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    possible. I don't think it's specific to "we're really looking to get __________" in next year's pool. I don't think they'd target a player a year out. It's way to iffy.

But this year's market's way too hot, and I could see them buying into the "we're good enough" thing.

It's good strategy, from a theoretical standpoint. The downside is you have to expect that it'll all hold this year, and into next.

3. Dukesuckgounc

Dukesuckgounc Let's go Panthers

But how could think that we are that good. When we have the worst special team in the NFL. And we have a player in Dan Morgan who can’t stay on the filed. And we have S that can’t tackle .I would buy it that if you told me we have the best special team in the NFL and that we have a very good backup player in MLB in case Dan Morgan have to go on the IR again .As of right now we are not that good. In order for that to change. That cat’s have to stop thinking that we are that about worry about how to fix the special team finding a backup player in MLB and fix the S.Can they fix most of the area in the Draft they probably could do it. But it won’t hurt to sign a FA or 2. Just in case the players that draft don’t work out as they are planning to. Right now the panthers are thinking about this draft. And guess what this is not as good draft as last year draft was and the year before

4. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

nope, more like they don't like where the market is going and with the cash being thrown out to scrubs, it's gonna cost a shitload of money to extend Smitty and Peppers. They're just clearing as much cap room going into next year as they can.

5. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

that wa my other thought.

6. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

here is how--there have been coaching changes made at key positions. EVERY PLAYER knows his job is at stake--they will be better in 2007.

7. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

still not a guarantee they will be. Things could easily go south in a hurry if the new offense isn't clicking.

8. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

true, but what is guaranteed? If this collection of players doesn't improve, there will be sweping changes (and Fox could be swept up in it)...asses are on the line now, because of last year's promises not kept (IMO of course)

9. Dukesuckgounc

Dukesuckgounc Let's go Panthers

Mike did you or any other reporter in Charlotte .Had the changes to ask Hurney what was the reason that Danny Crossman did not get fire. Considering the fact that cats special team was worst in the NFL last year?

10. Coach Micool

Coach Micool Let's Go Brandon!

seems to me, maybe they realize (for once) that the FA this year are costing way too much for what they are worth, and our recent FA acquisitions have cost us a lot, and yet haven't been worth nearly as much as they've costed in many cases, and we're on the verge of cap hell with needed extensions.

just because you throw a boatload of money at some dood to fill a hole, don't mean you get all that much 'better'.