1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Random draft thoughts

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Wp28, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

I have a few so I'm starting a thread...

DT, everybody has us taking one in our mocks, but with 8 already on the roster do we need one?

I could see maybe taking aguy early if you don't think Buck is healthy enough, and Moorehead is just a situational guy, but is their anybody with better potential then Hill, Freeman etc.. after the first couple of rounds?

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I don't see roster number being a big deal - how many guys of pro quality would be active? If Jordan Carstens isn't on the roster, my heart isn't broken. I felt like that was a distinctively bad problem, not that it was all the team's fault - Burton wasn't going, Walker sucked, and then Jenx got hurt. We need one more good DT right now, but don't have to have it terribly early. And if Freeman can beat out a mid-rounds draft pick, great.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  3. finleye

finleye como say what?

yeah, we wouldnt have so many DT's on the roster had those things you menetioned not happened. Picking up Pinkney during the season indicates they were not confident in the abilities of Carstens and/or O. Jordan. They might just say F*ck it, lets get one guy that can do what a group of 3-4 cannot.

4. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

Offensive line...

We have 10 on the roster including Nelson amd Mitchell..

How many do we draft?

5. batgrafix

batgrafix hannle yo biddness

With many of the projections I am seeing, most of the offensive talent has already been taken and we are left with mostly defensive talent available when we pick. Barron and Williamson are gone, and that leaves us with a choice of Travis Johnson, Erasmus James, Carlos Rogers, Shawne Merriman, Jammal Brown, Brodney Pool, Marcus Spears, David Pollack, Darryl Blackstock, and Heath Miller.

The Herald printed the other day that we had a strong interest in Brown, but if you look at who should be available talent-wise, he's really the only offensive player to be considered in that range. I personally like Miller, but I don't think the Panthers will take him at 14. They have scouted the defensive prospects pretty well from the senior bowl to the combine and the pro days, so I'm sure they are aware of this scenario as well. Hopefully they can move back and get a guy like Baas or Spencer late in the 1st and pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder in the process...

I've heard that the Steelers would like to move up and take Miller, perhaps we could entice them to make a deal with us?

6. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Looking at it from a similar perspective, I'm assuming Mitchell isn't a long term hit or release, Wahle, Wharton, Gross are definite starters, and we've got Reyes/Kadela/Fordham as likely to make the roster. I'd say Ferrario has a sporting chance at guard if we don't draft one and use Kadela as a backup tackle.

That leaves us to pick the best guard or tackle, I imagine, and potentially a center. We'd need one regardless of Mitchell, being that he's a FA in a year and Nelson's a gimp.

7. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

My random draft thought: we'll know who we draft when we draft them.

P.S. There isn't a thing anybody can say on this board that will have an ounce of influence on who we draft. That is all.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Need-wise, Brown handles it more than anybody.

I don't think Pittsburgh can put up enough picks to make a move from 30 to 14 without it being their entire draft.

9. Faithwarrior118

Faithwarrior118 Jesus loves you

Yes, but discussing the draft is more fun than discussing the other major topic surrounding this team.....

10. slydevl

slydevl Asshole for the People!

We'll know who gets suspended or indicted when it happens.