1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Questions for Star Wars gurus

Discussion in 'TV & Movie Discussion' started by Thelt, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Why did Obiwan let Vader kill him in episode four and what did he mean by strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can ever imagine. Why did his body vanish?

If Yoda could not defeat the emperor why did anyone think that Luke could? If Luke was only to defeat Vader what would that have accomplished?

2. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

I'm guessing the 'strike me down' stuff was his way of dying so he could communicate with Luke from the beyond. At least now that Ep III is out, that's what it looks like.

And let's remember that Obi-Wan wasn't supposed to die, according to Alec Guiness. He begged George Lucas to kill him off because he couldn't stand doing another movie with such horrible dialogue. Who knows what Lucas was thinking at the time?

3. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

If Obiwan escapes from Vader and re-joins Luke he can communicate with him easily enough and also help finish Luke's training.

I have wondered about this ever since I first saw episode four. I was hoping it would make sense now but it still does not. Maybe you are right it is just a plot hole created by an unwilling actor.

4. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I think a lot of it was because Obi-Wan noticed Luke running. If you remember he sorta stopped fighting and held his lightsaber in front of his face. I think he wanted Luke to see Vader kill him.

5. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Oh good grief.

6. The Brain

it would make sense. He needed Luke to see him killed. It would make it easier for Luke to face Vader, if Luke felt Vader was an evil being that killed his mentor.

During the fight he was doing good enough to survive, but once he saw look he stopped, held his saber in front of his face and closed his eyes. How exactly would you expect him to stop Vader at that point?

7. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

It's this part I'm having trouble with. That sounds like he's motivating him to revenge, which is a path to the Dark Side.

8. The Brain

possibly but why else would he just give up? least my way makes some sense.

9. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

My way is the better explanation. Trust your feelings.

10. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Here is one you have made me think up. Obiwan was already dead when he visited Luke on Tattoine. He was able to manifest himself to Luke somehow and when he fought Vader he only needed to allow Luke to escape and then he was either finished with his mission to help Luke or had ran out of the power needed to project himself. That would explain why there was no body.