1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Question about Pentagram

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality Forum' started by 84niner, Sep 11, 2009.

1. 84niner

84niner Full Access Member

I have noticed that at least two individuals on this site have what looks like pentagrams as their avatar and these two are genesis and Ecilam.

If these are pentagrams then please explain to me and others your reason for deplaying these.

Also, explain what it means.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. genesis

genesis asleep at the wheel

Nope not a pentagram. At least not that I know of. It is from Fullmetal Alchemist. It is the symbol on the back of Edward Elric's jacket. It is supposed to be an alchemy symbol. I have it because I happen to like artwork.

[​IMG]

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_the_symbol_on_the_back_of_Edward_Elric's_jacket_mean
    The symbol on the back of Edward Elric's jacket represents a crucified winged serpent.
    In alchemic symbology, "Winged Serpents represented volatile principles, and Wingless Serpents represented fixed principles. A Serpent nailed to a Cross represented the fixation of the volatile"
    The symbol, which is shared by Edward, his brother Alphonse, and their teacher Izumi Curtis, is an old symbol that represents alchemy itself.

3. melonhead

melonhead cohort

I wouldn't have justified that with an answer genesis.

4. genesis

genesis asleep at the wheel

Yeah I probably should not have. Oh well too late now. Now I am just going to sit back and wait. Please do not ask for what because all in dew time you will see what.

5. melonhead

melonhead cohort

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ECILAM

ECILAM Celebrate Diversity

The short answer is, the pentagram displayed inverse - at least the kind I currently use as an avatar - represents my alignment with the Left-Hand Path. Spiritually, this basically means that rather than seeking out salvation, or union with the universe or with a deity, I seek to fulfil my will in the world for myself and for those who matter to me. In a worldly sense this means I live life continually seeking out ways to improve myself and to realize my ambitions.

This might not sound much different than the way many people live in practice. In a way it isn't. The difference is, I don't waste time with ideas like original sin, submission of the will, faith or arbitrary morality. I consider reasoned ethics in accord with a sincere conscience to be more valid than any externally-derived dogma could ever be.

My beliefs differ from the atheist in that I recognize the spirit/soul/psyche as a real thing. I also recognize the role of subjective perception as well as objective observation in the individual's interpretation of truth, whereas the atheist generally dismisses the subjective as illusion, or at least something that is "not real."

That's the short answer of what the pentagram means for me. There are others who have slightly different views. Different versions of the inverse pentagram are of course famously associated with "Black Magic" and Satanism. Those who don't like conventional religion or want to rebel against it are fond of using the pentagram as their badge of rebellion... some more gracefully than others.

Then of course there are various Wiccan/neo-pagan movements who have parted ways with conventional religion, but still feel the need to divide their magic/religion into wholesome, nice "Light" and mean, selfish "Darkness." They display their pentagrams averse (one point straight up).

P.S. Melon - A sincere question deserves a sincere answer.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  7. 84niner

Appreciate your response genesis. The star shaped figure in the center reminds me of a pentagram. Thanks!

8. 84niner

Have you read and studied the Bible and if so do you find any of the Bible to be inspired by God? Do you find any truth in the scriptures?

9. melonhead

melonhead cohort

I agree, but I doubt that this was a sincere question.

10. ECILAM

ECILAM Celebrate Diversity

I used to be a big time True Believer©™. Now, not so much... and by not so much I mean not. There's really no fancy philosophy to it; you either buy it or you don't. The Bible was assembled in ancient Rome under heavy political pressure and since then has survived as both folklore and literature. I see no reason to take it literally, and even from a literary standpoint I don't find it to be internally consistent.

As for "truth," that would depend on what you mean. The Nazarene is credited with a few statements that make sense; I'm personally fond of "By their fruits ye shall know them." The "Scribes and Pharisees" rant is also a classic. Luke 20:46-47 seems especially apt these days. (Who hath ears to hear, let him hear!)

But then there's the dopey stuff. Ye have heard that it was said by the Nazarene, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart: But I say unto you, That a man who feels lust at the sight of a desireable woman is alive and well with all systems go. Let him rejoice, that his flesh doth not fail him!

But (and this is something even some of those of my persuasion could stand to learn), accepting that there are no infallible prophets or gurus actually frees you to fully appreciate what a given Teacher/Master/Magus got right. This is one of the reasons I've tended to de-emphasize the anti-Christian angle I had when I first began to explore the path of spiritual dissent.