1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Panthers/Saints Running Commentary

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Toll Booth Willie, Oct 26, 2003.

1. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Man, there's a lot of people whose lot in life seems to be "me too".

Agree completely, Schroll, if not early we at least need to put teams away. A ten point lead isn't as safe as a three point lead, and that's stupid. Our O can't sustain a drive if it doesn't include at least two 10+ yard plays from Davis, and that's highly concerning. Part of being ball control is having a first down or two.

Now that might bother some people, but if anybody wants to grow a set and talk about it, rather than bitching because I said something you didn't like, then go ahead. But bitter is not a good look for some of y'all.

2. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

HOF football thread?
    Is this thread a record for Football?

3. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

lol.......................perfection is tuff ahhhhh? You must be german in orgin!

Who performed badly this week?

4. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

Howard, Sauerbrun, Steussie, and Towns for starters

5. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

Yes, I am part German, just like most of the average American white people. That, Irish, and most of the other British ethnicities are what make the greater part of the race. What's your point?

Since you asked, and because you're such the great analyst to call me stupid for saying something you don't like to hear:

Howard
    Favors, despite his tackles
    Steussie
    the general mass of 'receivers' excluding one average performance
    Sauerbrun
    Mangum

those were particular instances. As well, Peppers, Moorehead, Burton, Donnalley, Gross, Rasmussen, the backup safeties, Towns all had below average performances IMO, though each of them had at least one decent play individually that kept them from being called completely worthless.
    As well, the defense overall underachieved most of the game, save for consistent play from Minter and Rucker. None of the three major units played up to the expectations I'd have for them.

It's a win, but to erase any ongoing problems from the concern list because we squeaked out a win we should have taken handily? No, I can't go that far.

6. Trashman1962

Trashman1962 Full Access Member

I hope I am not one that is coming across as bitter because I don't disrespect your point of view, I just disagree with the overall premise. While I agree the team is capable of much better overall play, I think they are currently playing at a playoff caliber level, and when/if they get better they will be tough to beat come playoff time.

You talk about 1st downs and ball control. However, of the 7 games we have played, we have tallied more 1st downs in 5 of the games with Indy beating us on a 17-20 count and the Bucs by a 14-25 count. In every other game we had more 1st downs than we allowed, and overall we have converted more 1st downs than we have allowed.

As for ball control, prior to todays game we averaged 30:30 per game while our opponents averaged 29:30 and against the Saints today we held the ball for 33:52. We have been consistently winning the time of possesion battle. Can we get better, obviously. But fact is, we are currently a good time of possession team.

You mentioned weaknesses, but strengths: Great kick returns, great punt returns, great field goal kicking, great punt coverage, great kickoff coverage, rushing offense is 2nd in the league, overall offense up from 31st last year to 16th this year, 13th in 3rd down conversions, 17th in offensive penalties, 12th in defensive sacks, 1st in blocked kics, 15th in rushing yards allowed, 10th in points per game allowed, a quarterback rated 15th in the NFL, only 11 sacks allowed in 7 games, great play from Hoover, great play from Steve Smith, offensive line is playing well (despite the recent play of Stuessie), defensive line is playing well (can play much better, but still very strong), Morgan playing great when healthy, just to name a few.

While you have made good points regarding areas that we can improve, you have not made a convincing argument that we are not currently playing at a level equal to the average of the other 7 current division leaders.

7. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

>>and when/if they get better they will be tough to beat come playoff time.

Agree, though I don't think they're playing playoff caliber football. Teams who get marched on defensively like we do, that rely on defense, don't have records like this. Certainly it's great to have six wins of seven but that guarantees nothing in game 8.

>>We have been consistently winning the time of possesion battle.

Having :30 more than the opponent isn't winning it. Especially when you're talking about a team that hardly ever passes. And if we played anywhere near our record, we wouldn't be talking about having thirty more seconds per game than the other guy or having the same amount of first downs as Jacksonville. We have one convincing win and a bunch of lucky last second bounces, and one whipping.

Also, pointing out that this team has weaknesses doesn't mean that I think they're totally worthless. Come on, give me some credit here - you might not like what I have to say, but you know I'm not stupid. That's what separates you from the one line punkasses who pile on, who were the target of my statement.
    So don't assume that me bringing up that we played poorly and barely won a game we should have taken handily doesn't mean we don't have some good points. There are plenty. Doesn't mean we can't play a lot better than we did today, correct? I can't change whether I was happy or displeased with today's product just because we squeaked out a win against a bad team that we almost lost seven different ways.

8. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

I'm trying to figure out what all the uproar is about?

The Panthers aren't playing like a great team because they aren't a great team.

Did anybody ever think or say they were? They are an opportunistic team that had a bunch of holes to start the season and they still have a bunch of holes.

If anything this TEAM is playing way above not only expectations but its skill level. The defense isn't playing as good as last year but the offense is much better in spite of having an average line, below average receivers, no tight end to speak of and a QB that is still learning how to play. That number one ranked defense lost us 8 games in a row last year. I'll take this years version any day.

The Panthers are WINNING - a toatlly new concept for this team

3-0 in OT games on the road - 4-0 in the division.

I cuss and throw shit at the TV like everybody else does and I wish they could get better in many phases of the game - but I refuse to get down on this team. They are playing as good as any team in the NFC right now - the Vikings are the only team anybody can say is playing better.

They are good enough for me.

9. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

What he's talking about is making first downs when they matter and doing something with that time of possession. Keeping a drive alive and putting 6 on the board instead of 3 or maybe nothing. Not winning TOP by a minute or two, but maybe six or seven minutes. Resting the defense instead of exposing it's weaknesses. Putting up enough points to put the game out of reach and letting the defense pin their ears back and go after the other team's QB without fearing making a game turning mistake. Maybe he doesn't mention what the team does right because it's been covered by every one else with 50-60 other responses already.

10. Bunky

Bunky .

don't come in here with a wall of words, wossa. you stick to ragsdale jv and you'll be allright. let magnus tell us how it is. he could've been a head coach, ya know?