1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

On the Clock - Draft Simulator

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Collin, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers Full Access Member

I'll play:
    Fanspeak:

8: Myles Garrett, DE Texas A&M - This is silly. Who makes this list? The only way Garrett drops to us is if he does a selfie video doing blow off a hookers ass while getting anally explored by Rosie O'Donnell.

40: Forrest Lamp, OT Western Kentucky - I don't think he'll make it down this far either. Lamp seems comparable to Brandon Scherff to me, probably stronger than Scherff. He's going to be a decent right tackle or an elite guard. Carolina needs the tackle side of him.

72: Taywan Taylor, WR Western Kentucky - Pretty sure no one has ever (or will ever again) take two Western Kentucky guys back to back, especially early. Taylor has elite speed and good hands. His routes need work, and he played against inferior competition, but the tools are here, and the offense needs some juice. Cam needs guys who can get separation, he's just not accurate enough to place the ball into tight windows, which Funchess and Benjamin force him to do.

99: Jake Butt, TE Michigan - Would have been a first rounder until he got hurt. Huge (6'6"), high character, high motor guy. Good inline blocker, not an elite receiver, but could be very good in time. I think his ceiling is Jason Witten, but at a minimum he's an upgrade over Ed Dickson.

4th round: Wayne Gallman, RB Clemson - My idea is to add offensive tools for our dumpster fire unit. Gallman isn't elite, but he's well rounded and a good pass catching back. He's a sure upgrade over Fozzy. The fact that Fozzy has a job on this team makes me want to punch kittens. A duo of Taylor and Gallman could be a nice upgrade in the return game also.

5th round: Conor McDermott, OT UCLA - Has nice feet, could be really solid if he hits the weights and takes to coaching. This is the type of pick Gettleman has neglected, just adding young mid round guys to fill out the offensive line depth. That shit is how you end up starting Focault at LT on Monday Night Football.

6th round: Freddie Stevenson, FB FSU - Replacement for Tolbert, best FB in college football. Opened a lot of holes for Dalvin Cook.

7th round: Zane Gonzalez K ASU - Competition for GaNoGood.

Collin likes this.
  2. Kenny Powers

CBS:

8: Marshon Lattimore - This list is a lot more realistic than fanspeak. I struggled between Lattimore, Dalvin Cook and Malik Hooker. I opted for the best CB in the draft. In a year or two, could certainly form one of the best secondaries in the league along with Bradberry (who is way better than I thought he would be).

40: Forrest Lamp, OT Western Kentucky - See above

72: Alvin Kamara, RB Tennessee - I'd be really surprised if Kamara drops out of the second round. He has top notch acceleration and good hands out of the backfield. He could replace Stewart immediately if we decide to cut Stewie to save cap dollars in order to not resign KK Short or someone else.

99: Pat Eflien, C Ohio State - I really wanted this guy in my fanspeak draft. I believe Kalil is approaching the end of the road quickly, and has at the very most 2 years left. We need him for interior O line depth in the near future and a replacement for Kalil long term.

4th round: Marcus Maye, S Florida - Tre Boston is kind of a shit show. He needs to hit the Adderrall and learn how to diagnose a play and take a proper angle. Marcus Maye has good athleticsm and doesn't seem to have nearly the amount of stupid that Boston has.

5th round: Carlos Henderson, WR LA Tech - Another prospect with elite speed from a small school. Just bananas production, 82 catches for 1500+ yards and 19 TDs. Should provide immediate pop in the return game, and should hopefully replace Ginn right away, with the same or better speed, and certainly better hands.

6th round: Chad Kelly, QB Ole Miss - Derek Anderson disappointed me this year. He may be getting old, maybe he lost his mojo, who knows. Kelly is the nephew of Jim Kelly, and throws a hell of a long ball. He's got some off the field shit, so this will almost certainly never happen, but this is my draft so fuck off.

7th round: Freddie Stevenson - My 6th rounder above. Could be wrong, wouldn't shock me if Carolina went fullback-free this year.

Collin likes this.
  3. Jaz

Jaz Full Access Member

Let's say these prospects are selected before we pick, who would be your next choice?

Myles Garrett
    Jonathan Allen
    Solomon Thomas
    Leonard Fournette
    Malik Hooker
    Jamal Adams

Go with Taco? A corner? OJ Howard? Force a tackle there? WR?

4. Kenny Powers

That's pretty much who was taken in my second mock. I went with Lattimore.

8 is a little high for Derek Barnett, but that still wouldn't be bad, since he's the #3 DE in the class to me, and 1 and 2 are gone. I don't think any of the OT's should sniff the top 20, even though one undoubtedly will. I'd be ok with Corey Davis there too. Mike Williams is way overrated, so I'd probably just find a cat to kick if we picked him.

I don't like Taco at all as a 4-3 DE. He's just so tall, he gives opposing OTs a huge strike zone to hit to keep him off the QB. I think he can have a decent career as a 3-4 DE similar to how KC used Tyson Jackson.

OJ Howard is a good player. I guess it depends on how they evaluate him. If they think he's Gronk part 2, then you have to pull that trigger. I don't see it personally. I'd be happy to have him with the 2nd rounder, but #8 feels really rich to me.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Collin likes this.
  5. Jaz

Jaz Full Access Member

Could they pull the trigger on another first round LB in Foster? Good value and a great player, but there is no room for him. Unless Luke quits

6. Kenny Powers

I don't think Luke will quit, but if the concussions will be a regular thing, and there is certainly room for concern, then yeah Foster is a good pick in that case. I wouldn't pick him with the idea that he's going to be an outside linebacker though.

7. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

The short answer is no, you don't draft another linebacker at #8.

8. Kenny Powers

We agree somewhat. If I were to give my top 10 it would go something like this:

First tier:
    1. Myles Garrett - His bend and first step are filthy.
    2. Leonard Fournette - Best RB prospect since Bo Jackson in my opinion

Fournette is the best player, but Garrett plays a more premium position. I'd do backflips and set my pubes on fire to get either.

Second tier:
    3. Reuben Foster - Beast mode, the best MLB prospect since Luke himself. He's actually a better pass rusher than Keuchly, just not as acerbic.
    4. Jonathan Allen - I disagree with you that he's a 4-3 end. You can stick him there, and he'd be ok. You put him in the middle where he belongs, and he can be as good as Aaron Donald.
    5. Soloman Thomas - 100% agree that he wrecks shit. He also won't make it to Carolina's pick.
    6. Jamal Adams - He's an awesome run defender, but can get fooled and turned around sometimes defending the pass. He's not as instinctive or athletic as Hooker is there.
    7. Marshon Lattimore - Speaking of athletic and instinctive pass defenders ...

I'd be extremely happy to get any second tier guy except maybe Foster, but that's because I'm a Keuchly fan. I'm not sure how Jonathan Allen would fit in, but damn you would have to make it work if he fell I think. I'd be shocked if that happened though. Just about every team drafting above us can use an elite DT. John Fox won't let him past #3 I'd predict.

Third Tier:
    8. Corey Davis - The more I think about Davis, the more I like him here. I just don't see weaknesses when I YouTube him.
    9. Malik Hooker - His game is nasty. I'm a little concerned though he only really played for a year and has the injury already. I think if he had 3 years production at the same level as last year without the injury he's in conversation for top 3 pick.
    10. Marlon Humphrey - Good physical corner, in the mold of Josh Norman without the mouth. Has more speed than Norman, just not as athletic as Lattimore.

I'd be happy with the third tier guys also. I know most have Dalvin Cook up there, and I think he's a really good back, but his off the field stuff is a concern, as well as his Florida "posse" that he's going to bring to wherever he gets drafted. I also don't think he's a monster step above Kamara, who should be available in the second round if you wanted a back with speed and hands.

9. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

Jonathan Allen has Greg Hardy's skill set. He would play end in your base defense, and then you can move him inside in certain passing situations. Aaron Donald is similar, but the Rams 4-3 is a different kind of scheme than our 4-3.

10. Collin

Collin soap and water

I agree that Allen would be out of position as 4-3 LDE, but if he falls you take him anyway and make it work somehow. On Hooker, you're not worried about his run support? I like him in a scheme where he has an Ed Reed role where he can stay back and patrol but under Rivera we've stuck to a scheme where the safeties are asked to do everything and I just don't like Hooker around the line of scrimmage. I'll need to review Lattimore and Davis before I can comment on either. I ignored them because I can't imagine those positions being picked at #8 given Gettleman's recent commitments. Even if they're upgrades, taking them would mean tacitly admitting that previous picks haven't worked out and I don't think the Fat Man will ever do that.