1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

On the Clock - Draft Simulator

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Collin, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Collin

Collin soap and water

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

Using Fanspeak's board:

#8) Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama - He won't fall this far but since the mock made him available I figured why not. Most see him as an elite under tackle in the NFL or a potentially dominant 5 technique DE, but I think he's quick enough to succeed as a 4-3 LDE as well.

#40) Forrest Lamp, OL, Western Kentucky - I've read that many think he will move inside to guard due to short arms, which seems nuts to me. He has the necessary agility and footwork to mirror speed rushers while also showing the technique to excel as a run blocker. If he can't hack at tackle and has to become a guard, so be it, but short arms is not enough reason for me to assume that he won't. I'd stick him at left tackle and see what happens.

#72) Curtis Samuel, WR, Ohio State - He wasn't on my radar but at this point in the draft it wouldn't hurt to add a playmaker on offense. You could motion him into the backfield on some gimmick sets or use him as the pitch man in those option looks, as his rushing background gives him some interesting versatility. While he doesn't have Ginn's speed, he does have the ability to threaten defenses deep. It would actually be pretty fun to line him up in the backfield and have him run routes from there.

#99) Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan - I strongly considered him at #72. He's strictly a slot corner but he's a potentially elite one given his short area quickness and understanding of routes. I don't think Michigan used him to blitz, which is something McDermott valued a lot out of the nickel, but I think Wilks just wants someone who can shut down slot receivers. This is the expected compensatory pick for Josh Norman.

#113) Adam Bisnowaty, OT, Pittsburgh - This roster needs more than one additional offensive tackle, and Bisnowaty is the type of experienced technician who could play right away. Few seem to give him a chance of sticking at left tackle due to his footwork being a little slow but he has the frame and agility to be an upgrade on Remmers at right tackle.

#153) Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson - I really wanted to address running back earlier than this, but I am a big fan of Gallman. His musculature is mostly concentrated in his upper body which means that he's easily taken down when attacked below the waist, but he's an instinctive rusher who also gives full effort as a blocker. He reminds me a lot of DeMarco Murray at Oklahoma.

#193) Lorenzo Jerome, S, Saint Francis - This is our annual small school shot in the dark. From what I've read, Jerome is a versatile safety along with being a dangerous return man. The latter makes him worth taking while hoping that the former can be developed. Joe Mixon was still available here but he's going to go much earlier and J.R. wouldn't allow him to be picked anyway.

#236) Dwayne Thomas, CB, LSU - He's another nickel corner but one with blitzing experience. He's a bit on the small side for a transition to safety but is such a willing hitter that it's a realistic possibility.

Using CBS's board:

#8) Jamal Adams, S, LSU - I really wanted to go with Fournette here but I love Adams' game and I believe that adding someone with his diverse skills and leadership would improve the secondary tremendously. He is stout and physical enough to play strong safety while fast and aware enough to play free safety as well, so he would fit nicely alongside Coleman. On film he doesn't exactly wow you, as he doesn't have Hooker's unbelievable athleticism, but Adams does not make mistakes and he does do all the little things that make for a successful play. I would rather have that dependability even if you sacrifice some playmaking. Plus, everything I've read about him indicates that coaches absolutely love the guy. He's a leader who would fit right in with Kuechly and Davis.

#40) Forrest Lamp, OL, Western Kentucky - I considered Garett Bolles because he has the upside to be the best left tackle out of this draft, but a team like this needs a high floor offensive lineman rather than a project. I'm hoping that the short arms thing does push Lamp down to our second pick because he really should be drafted earlier.

#72) Pat Elflein, C, Ohio State - He has experience at center and guard, which is nice because Norwell's contract is up after this season while Kalil has had some injuries. I like guys who play with a mean streak and have a strong lower body that allows them to anchor or drive. He would help the running game considerably.

#99) Jordan Willis, RDE, Kansas State - He played stand-up rusher in college but I think he can transition to having his hand in the dirt. He's not as gifted a pass rusher as his sacks totals would suggest, but what I like about him is that he uses his hands extremely well in both phases, keeping tackles from engulfing him while rushing and shedding linemen while defending the run. His size isn't ideal for a DE but guys with good hands can overcome that.

#113) Malachi Dupree, WR, LSU - I don't know why I'm doing this, as it's definitely a Gettleman pick. Dupree is another big receiver with a large catch radius who can run streaks but isn't quick enough to do much underneath. He's a better blocker than Funchess or Benjamin. I guess it would just be funny to run with three enormous wideouts.

#153) Corn Elder, CB, Miami - Boy this draft has a lot of interesting slot corners. Elder is somewhere between Lewis and Thomas, displaying a nice combination of physicality and cover skills.

#193) Freddie Stevenson, FB, FSU - I didn't get the running back I wanted in this draft, but if you build enough blocking then you can create success that way. Stevenson can block. Really block. He wasn't used for anything else in college so he's not a Tolbert type, but it would be nice to have someone on the roster who can reliably open holes and drive defenders.

#236) Des Lawrence, CB, UNC - Lawrence is a good fit for the Panthers' press and bail zone coverage responsibilities, as he can challenge receivers at the line of scrimmage and stay with them vertically. Since he wouldn't be asked to cross the field much here, his weaknesses wouldn't be as much of an issue. He's physical enough that you could even think about trying him at free safety but I think he's best suited to be a second or third outside corner. He would be an upgrade over Worley in my view.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Black&Black likes this.
  2. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

I like Gallman, but we don't draft Clemson players, so you might as well leave him off the board.

3. morningwood

morningwood Pay for Performance

Clearly, we need OL and secondary help. But in the event management goes RB at #8, isn't Cook from FSU a better pick than Fournette? He's a beast, but imho, Cook's power is underrated, and his receiving and true speed/quickness versus straight ahead drive would seem to allow more diversity in play calling. Thoughts?

4. Collin

Collin soap and water

No, it's the exact opposite. Cook's skill set would require the Panthers to stop using many of the plays they currently do because he's much better outside the tackles, he struggles with pass protection, he benefited from playing behind a great fullback, and Carolina doesn't utilize running backs in the passing game effectively. Cook is an exciting talent but a very poor fit for this offense.

5. morningwood

morningwood Pay for Performance

Ok. Thanks for the insight. That said, would you take Fournette if he's there?

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

I like a few other players better, but yes, I would be happy to add Fournette. Because I don't believe that Cam is ever going to progress significantly as a passer, any offense with him at the helm is going to depend on a consistent rushing attack to set up the deep shots downfield, so adding a quality running back to spell and eventually replace Stewart is pretty important. Fournette can do all the things this offense needs him to, including making something out of nothing on plays where the blocking fails. This is a top heavy running back class, as there aren't a lot of particularly interesting talents who figure to go in the middle rounds, especially if your team can't take the P.R. hit from selecting Joe Mixon. As much as I would love to have someone of Mixon's talent, after watching the video I could never pull for that guy.

7. Jaz

Jaz Full Access Member

I don't think we have a fourth rounder this year because of the Andy Lee trade . Anyway, I used Matt Miller's.

8 - Solomon Thomas - picked him over fournette. Has some position versatility along the dline

40 - John Ross - WR from Washington. Doubt he's actually here but adds some speed to the wr position.

72 - Pat Elfein - C - Depth and future starter

99 - Cameron Sutton - CB/S - can play inside or outside or possibly flip to safety

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

Andy Lee and the Browns' 7th round pick in this draft were traded for the Panthers' fourth round pick in 2018.

9. -Purrsecutioner-

-Purrsecutioner- Full Access Member

The two I'm salivating for are Thomas or Fournette. Man, I'm going to be so happy with either of them. Hooker maybe, too.

10. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product