1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Odds Are Miami Will Join the ACC

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by LarryD, May 8, 2003.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

one thing this would do is screw up the BCS teams. the big east gets an automatic berth, but that'd certainly be revoked without three of its top four football schools.

also, there's talk that the big east could realign to become a basketball-only conference.

it will also prod the other conferences to expand to 12 teams. the big 10 (11) has been trying to get notre dame for years, but could ditch them to get pitt or misouri.

the pac 10 may target fresno state, san diego state, utah or byu.

the big hangup with duke and unc seems to be how the divisions would be alligned. fsu and miami would almost certainly be put in the same acc "south" division, thereby enabling them both to earn BCS bids with an early-season meeting between the two schools.

i'll take a stab at one realignment possibility:

acc north: syracuse, boston college, north carolina, n.c. state, virginia, maryland

acc south: georgia tech, florida state, miami, wake forest, clemson, duke

2. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I've also heard it could be ACC East and West that way they could arrange the teams however they felt necessary

3. LarryD

it doesn't matter what you call them, you still have to set them up the right way. i've not heard what duke and unc's objections are to the divisions, but there are about a dozen proposals on the table.

4. UNCdubya

UNCdubya Full Access Member

No way do they put DUKE-UNC in different divisions, simply for the basketball rivalry. They both want to play each other at least twice a year. This is one of the best rivalries in the country, I dont think they would want to be split.

This is a basketball conference and moving to the twelve team format definitely complicates things.

5. LarryD

so, swap duke and maryland.

6. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

basketball might not need a divisional line up... so they'd set up divisions for football only

7. LarryD

but there can only be 16 divisional games, that means there won't be some home-and-homes.

8. Foxman

Foxman Don't read th

Man you guys with the same avatar was making my head hurt. I wastrying to figure out if the Brain was a psyco arguing with himself. Damn. Regardless of what division is called what; Wake, Duke, UNC and State will all be together I would imagine. Clemson, Maryland, FSU & Suckacuse can all kiss ol jake. Otherwise I don't care at all who is in what division.

9. lde

lde Teddy and Gabriel

Why can there only be 16 divisioinal games? Is that a rule, or is it just something many schools want?

10. LarryD

that's what the big 12 does with their schedule. i dont think they'd want to suck up 22 games of the schedule with conference opponents. they make $$ off those non-conference games -- and you need some warm-up patsys. not to mention the SOS factor for RPI.