1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

New FM SportsTalk Station coming to the QC by 8/28

Discussion in 'SportsTalk' started by sds70, Aug 12, 2014.

1. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

Charlotte to get first FM sports talk radio station | CharlotteObserver.com

Im surprised it took forever for Clear Channel Radio-CLT to jump into the SportsTalk Radio Genre in this market . . . It should be up and running by 8/28 on 98.7FM (?) . . . . It looks like WFNZ/CBS Radio will finally have some real competition in this market (sorry ESPN730 I really doubt youve really given 610AM a run for their money at all since you've been on the air).

The really good thing now is that with all the sports properties in this immediate market (Panthers/HOrnets/CHarlotte 49ers/Davidson/Checkers) and regionally (Clemson/USC/ACC Schools/NHL Canes) you are really going to see some movement in radio homes in the next few years as contract comes up. Perhaps FoxSports Radio 98.7FM could be the new home of the HOrnets and/or Panthers when their radio deals come up again. Or perhaps UNC or NC State move over to 98.7FM . . . .

2. Test123

Test123 Full Access Member

I can't see this station really taking off. He is only 110 Watts. If the commission allows him to increase to full power the maximum would be 250 Watts depending on the height of his antenna.

I tried listening on Saturday from Mooresville to Charlotte. I could not hear it without interference from 98.7 in Greensboro until I got to Sunset Rd. Trying to listen yesterday near the Speedway Simon was coming in better than the Sports station.

That being said there is a rumor in the market that this translator will be the new home for Charlotte Hornets radio. Not sure what the Hornets are thinking but they will be the only local PxP on this station for the foreseeable future. They were moved around on 610/1660 and even bumped a few times.

You can hear the Sports station on 99.7 HD-2. I don't have a working HD radio currently to verify that but when I did it got out pretty good. 610 and 1660 have been on the HD-3 channels of 97.9 and 104.7 respectively for years. Ratings have been nil. GM announced a week or so ago that they are not putting HD radios in some cars next model year and today it came out in the trades today it is because owners have complained they can't turn it off. HD radio is about to pass away...

t123