1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Moss to Raiders (THIS IS FOR REAL!)

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Sackem90, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Sackem90

Sackem90 Misplaced Panthers Fan

Updated: Feb. 23, 2005, 5:13 PM ET

ESPN.com news services
    Randy Moss is heading for Oakland, the receiver's agent said Wednesday.

Randy Moss
    Wide Receiver
    Minnesota Vikings

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
    Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC
    49 767 13 15.7 82 187

Dante DiTrapano, Moss' agent, told The Associated Press that the Minnesota Vikings and the Raiders had "come to an agreement on Randy playing for Oakland next year."

The Vikings wouldn't confirm a deal.

"We have been in discussions with the Oakland Raiders, but there's nothing to announce," Rob Brzezinski, the team's vice president of football operations, told The Associated Press.

DiTrapano said he didn't know the terms of the deal, but The St. Paul Pioneer Press reported the Vikings would get linebacker Napoleon Harris, along with the seventh overall pick and a late-round pick in the upcoming draft.

The deal cannot become official until March 2, the start of the NFL's fiscal year.

The flamboyant Moss had been the subject of trade rumors following this past season. He struggled with a hamstring injury and was fined $10,000 for pretending to pull down his pants and moon the Green Bay crowd during Minnesota's playoff win. He also drew criticism for leaving the field with two seconds left in a regular-season loss against Washington.

On Tuesday, the Raiders re-signed Jerry Porter, their star wide receiver, to a contract worth $20 million over five years. Porter could have become a free agent on March 2.

Once Moss leaves Minnesota, the Vikings' top receiver will be Nate Burleson. Former Steeler Plaxico Burress is the cream of the free-agent crop, but the Vikings could also snare a potential salary-cap casualty such as Isaac Bruce, Muhsin Muhammad or Derrick Mason. The draft also has two promising players -- Michigan's Braylon Edwards and USC's Mike Williams.

"In speaking with Moss, although he has a lot of ties to Minnesota and did not particularly want to be traded, he's very excited with the possibility of playing for Al Davis and being a part of the Raider tradition," DiTrapano told the Pioneer Press. "The Raiders have vowed to use Randy's talents the way they should be used, and that's to throw the ball vertically down the field.

"Randy's desire to win a Super Bowl is enhanced with a move to a team like the Raiders, because the Minnesota Vikings seem to be in a constant rebuilding mode," he said.

The Raiders will take on Moss' $7.25 million base salary for next season, while the Vikings will save nearly $2 million against their cap. Four seasons remain on Moss' eight-year $75 million contract.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Interesting.

The thing is, they can go get two receivers, have those extra picks, and come out allright.

But if they simply weren't so damned cheap, they would be successful right now.

3. Coops Greatest Fan

Coops Greatest Fan I just post here

:teeth:

4. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

this just made kerry collins value on my keeper fantasy league skyrocket.

and made my daunte culpepper stock go down. if the vikes can draft edwards and get mason...i think it's solid.

5. Piper

Piper phishin member

Nate Burleson had over 1000 yards. He teamed up with Mason is fine. Edwards won't be their IMO, but they don't need him that badly either.

I think they'll target a young corner.

6. kshead

kshead What's the spread?

This is the key to the whole thing. This kid had a great year - although he'd probably like that one REALLY horrid drop in the Skins game back.

Without his development, traffic cops in Minny would still be scared today.

7. Piper

Piper phishin member

Yep.

I see a little bit of the Pat Ewing syndrome going on here. New owner in town, big star player leaves, team way under cap, he needs something to get butts in seats.

I can see them being very aggresive now in Free Agency. They get a good young defender out of the deal already, Harris has good speed and can hit and cover.

They can take the best player available now at #8. Anything that falls, they can take, cause their's not really a big, big hole. Maybe one of the backs?

8. Bunky

Bunky .

i hope ronald curry cuts moss' acl. damn.

9. NOGA87

NOGA87 Full Access Member

Nate was good...but part of the reason he got what he got was because Moss was there to take most of the attention.

And Jesus Christ I can't believe my Raiders are taking Moss...no wait, yes I can. But to go from Tim Brown and Jerry Rice - 2 class acts...TO Moss. :huh: Well hell, reckon I'll just wait and see how he acts in Raiderland before I kick em to the curb after 27yrs of pullin' for em.

10. Coops Greatest Fan

Coops Greatest Fan I just post here

I had no idea you were a Raiders fan......... :huh: