1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Mission Trip

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality Forum' started by Scrappy, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Scrappy

Scrappy Conservative

Anybody been on one? I got back yesterday from my first. We were in a little coal town in the mountains of West Virginia: It was incredibly hot, we were on the 9th floor of a very old dorm with no A/C, only 3 showers and 2 bathrooms for about 70 females, and the elevator was not working a lot of the time.

However--it was one of the most incredibly rewarding experiences of my life, and I'm already looking forward to the next one. I really can't remember the last time I was so moved and saw so many people full of the spirit of God. Kinda restored my faith in people. Everything seems so negative lately--it was wonderfully refreshing to be a part of something so positive.

The amazing young man who emceed our daily devotions is in his second year of seminary school, and he seemed to actually radiate with positive energy and peace. I just wanted to hang around him and bask in his glow.

2. wordsworth

wordsworth Full Access Member

I've gone on a couple of these kinds of mission trips, one to Buffalo NY, a really poor section of town and it wasn't pretty. A bunch of amateur "carpenters" trying to renovate some old folk's homes, we probably did more damage than improving, but the people enjoyed the activity and the company anyway.
    The other was to Pensacola, Fl after hurricane Ivan to help with the clean up. The rich people really appreciated our help :) We did take our "sister" church a Christmas tree, that was cool.:invasion:

3. Ted Striker

Ted Striker ... over Macho Grande

Why do Christians go on missions when they could help people closer to home, is it not as appealing?

4. wordsworth

wordsworth Full Access Member

They do both.

5. Geek

Geek Full Access Member

May be going to Haiti next spring.

6. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Ready for August!

My parents are going to the Philippines in July!

7. UNCfever

UNCfever Full Access Member

A lot of other places don't have the religious freedoms as the USA or have had the same exposure to christian beliefs as some other countries do. In the USA you can find christian churches all over the place, in some countries not so much, so missions go there to either tell them about Jesus/God and or to help them start churches.

8. Ted Striker

Ted Striker ... over Macho Grande

It seems when I was a kid the smaller country churches took care of the old or sick people around the area. I remember going with my grandmother to feed elderly people and prayers being asked for certain local people. Now we have mega churches with huge buildings and big mission drives and youth groups. Sometimes it all seems to have less to do with the faith and more to do with look what I did.

9. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

100% agreed. I haven't been attending lately for this whole reason. I'm hoping to find another small church though and get back to going. Problem is its hard to find a small church that still has a decent preacher. Once they're discovered to have a good preacher they get flooded.

10. UNCfever

UNCfever Full Access Member

Sorry, didn't see this until now. I think churches should do both in regards to what you are talking about. I know ours does both. We have several local outreach programs to help people in the community, and also support about 20 different missions in other countries. But I certainly can understand what you mean about mega churches, I do think a lot of them lose sight of what they should be doing once they get bigger. It can be difficult to find the right church for sure, we visited 4 or 5 when we moved out here before we found this one that seemed to have the right focus on God.