1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Lower back pain

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine Forum' started by Thelt, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

It is not bad enough to take pills yet. I have some at home but I only take them every now and then when I need to get a good nights sleep. If it is something I just have to live with then I deal with it. I guess I just need to get that MRI done so I know I am not on the verge of screwing something up majorly.

2. articulatekitten

articulatekitten Feline Member

Thelt, I would encourage you to consult a good chiropractor or osteopath before giving up & assuming you just have to live with the pain. And before any type of medication or surgery a doctor might suggest, too. Ongoing pain of any kind, even if it's not severe, can cause a lot of other health issues too. There was a good article about some research on chronic pain earlier this year. Part of what that article said was:

suffering long-term pain could trigger these other pain-related symptoms.
    Researchers found that in a healthy brain all the regions exist in a state of equilibrium. When one region is active, the others quiet down. But in people with chronic pain, a front region of the cortex mostly associated with emotion "never shuts up," said Dante Chialvo, lead author and associate research professor of physiology at the Feinberg School. "The areas that are affected fail to deactivate when they should."
    They are stuck on full throttle, wearing out neurons and altering their connections to each other.

The entire article is available at http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080205171755.htm

A good chiropractor or osteopath will be able to assess what type of imbalance or misalignment is leading to the pain, & probably also offer some natural method of either lessening it or relieving it altogether.

I have had some remarkable results with chiropractic therapy for back pain & for numbness that extends into the limbs. I even got complete relief from carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrists under chiropractic care.

There are QUACKS out there, of course. So I'd look for recommendations from patients on specific ones before choosing who to see.

Good luck.

3. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I am wondering it if it has to do with my workstation. I spend all day at work behind a desk. I realized that I have a very poor sitting position. I am bad to recline my chair and slide down too far. I adjusted it to a better position and locked it in place yesterday. It actually feels a little better today.

I still plan to keep my doctor's appointment on it...

4. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Son of Anarchy

Stop shitting for more than 1 hour. Best solution - kill yourself.

5. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

I forgot about this thread. I saw a couple of doctors and one chiropractor and they all helped a little but I basically cured it when I started stretching and doing some core exercises every night. Alternating crunches and leg raises were a big part of it. I bought one of those little wheels you can use to do core training and used it as well.

6. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

I have arthritis in the lower back, stretching exercises are the ticket. I can screw and everything, pain free!

7. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

pain free for you, maybe. doubtful for the goat

8. melonhead

melonhead cohort

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

Well, I HAVE been told I'm hung like a horse.

10. melonhead

melonhead cohort