1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Kemoeatu Q&A

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Paladin, May 11, 2006.

1. Paladin

Paladin Full Access Member

http://www.panthers.com/news/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=24698

Fan Q&A: Maake Kemoeatu
    May 11, 2006

Panthers.com

With Fan Q&A, it's your turn to play sports reporter. Today it's Maake Kemoeatu's turn to tackle your questions.

Hey Kemo, is it cool to call you that or do you have another nickname you would rather us use? Hayden, East Bend, NC

I prefer Maake (Mah-AH-ke).

What was it about Carolina that sealed the deal for you as far as coming here? John Yadkinville, NC

Being part of a great organization. Seeing the defense around me. My agent and I sat down and talked about what would be a great scenario for me other than Baltimore. Carolina showed a lot of interest and I was very interested in Carolina based on what they have done the last few years. I wanted to be a part of that. I like the way they build the defense around their front four and I don't mind that pressure.

What are you thoughts on working with the likes of Julius Peppers, Kris Jenkins and Mike Rucker? Mike, Ocean Isle Beach, NC

Shoot. I'm a student, learning from some of the best of the best in this League.

If you could play another position, what would you play and why? d-dAVE, Charlotte, NC

Probably a kicker. (laughs) No, I love playing defensive line. If I could play another position, it would be right tackle instead of left tackle.

What are your personal expectations for this year? Joe, Alaska

My expectation is to do my best to help the team win. Do whatever I need to do to help this organization get to the next level. If that means I need to lose weight so I can be faster, then that's what I need to do.

I'd like to challenge you to a glazed donut eating contest. Do you accept? Zod, Charlotte

I'm on a strict diet, but if I weren't on a diet I would. If the coaches hear that I'm in a doughnut eating contest, it wouldn't be good for me.

A lot of fans around here are expecting you to be a dominant and central part of our defense this season. Did you feel the same type of pressure in Baltimore and if not, how do you feel you will handle this pressure now in Carolina? David, Lenoir NC

Yeah, I did. They expect me to do a lot of things here, too, and I'm going to do my best to reach those expectations. So far that approach has worked.

Are you and Kris Jenkins allowed to sit on the same side of the plane? GW, Rock Hill, SC

(Laughs) Shoot. (Laughs again) I don't know, but we'll find out when we start traveling.

How well did you know Steve Smith and/or Jordan Gross when you were at the Univ. of Utah? As fellow Utes, did they play any role in convincing you to become a Panther? Wes, Charlotte, NC

Neither convinced me to be a Panther, but we knew each other well back in college. What they are both doing today is the same thing they did at Utah. Steve Smith makes those amazing catches. That's what he did in college. Jordan Gross is an amazing blocker now, and he was amazing then.

Do you plan to make Charlotte home or are your roots elsewhere? How does Charlotte compare to the Baltimore/DC area? Gary, Shelby, NC

Charlotte is nice. It's beautiful. But when everything is said and done, I'd like to be at home with my family in Hawaii.

What can you tell us about you that we won't read on some bio? Zack, New Jersey

I'm the oldest of seven kids. I have a six-year old sister. I have to be the responsible one to take care of my younger siblings.

Who has had the biggest impact or influence on your career thus far? Steve, Brisbane, Australia

My coaches. For the past four years, Rex Ryan has been my defensive line coach with the Ravens. He was my coordinator, too. He kind of taught me the tricks of the trade. Now I'm with Sal (Sunseri) and Trgo (Mike Trgovac) and I'm pretty much expecting them to be my mentors and they will affect my career in a positive way.

Do you feel more comfortable in a 4-3 or 3-4 defensive scheme and why? Bud, Chicago, IL

I'm comfortable with either, but I'm a little more comfortable in a 4-3 because you don't face the two-gap. One of the hardest things to do at our position is two-gap, at least for me. Other than that, I don't mind playing either. When it's all said and done, we're all playing football.

Who is the toughest center you've faced in the league? The toughest guard? GW, Rock Hill, SC

Toughest center would probably be Jeff Mitchell, who I faced my rookie year. That was my first game. I was kind of hoping he'd still be here, because he gave me a good beating and I was looking forward to playing against him. Best guard would probably be Steve Hutchinson or Alan Faneca.

We let (Julius) Peppers play on offense on some goal line plays. Would you like to do something like that? If so, would it be as a run blocking tight end or a catching tight end? Duekster, Grand Prairie, TX

Sure. I'd like to be in on a running play, either as a blocking tight end or tackle or guard. Or maybe even a fullback. Maybe even run the ball, like the Fridge.

Do you think sacks are the best statistic to measure the performance of a defensive lineman? Why or why not? Fireball, Cleveland, OH

Well, obviously if you're getting sacks you're getting the job done, but there are other ways of proving your worth. Tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Everybody has a role on the defense.

Will the Panthers have the best defensive line in the NFL this season? Philly D., Charlotte, NC

That's what we're hoping for. There are 31 other defensive lines hoping for the same thing. We'll find out by the end of the year who the best is. All you can do is do your best.

Baltimore has been known to have a great defense for several years now. How do you think the Panthers defense compares? Mark, Jefferson, NC

We have just as good a chance (here) as they do. A good offense can be a good defense, too, though. Football is a team sport. You can be the best defense and not go to the Super Bowl. But I think our defense can be as good as anyone else.

What do you bench press, and what do you squat? Terry, Faith, NC

(Laughs) Shoot. Today I bench pressed 365, which is below average for our offensive and defensive line. I squat probably 525, which is average. Those are bests for me, but they are average here in this building. The Panthers have very high standards.

You're generally described as a run stuffer. Do you feel your pass rushing skills deserve more credit or need more work? Richard, Columbus, OH

My pass rushing skills need more work. Come to think of it, my run stuffing skills need more work. Everything needs more work if you want to get better.

2. Fred Smoot's Father

Fred Smoot's Father the future is bright

I doubt that he laughed twice.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    "Yeah, call me by my name you idiot."

Seriously, that Borden douche isn't so bad compared to fan questions.
    Unless, of course, he made them up. Philly D and D-Dave?

4. Fred Smoot's Father

Fixed.

5. Foxman

Foxman Don't read th

FIXED

6. Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot The Voice of Reason

Wasn't Collin, but it was someone who posts here occasionally :biggrina:

7. Fred Smoot's Father

:woot:

8. VipMattMan

VipMattMan Junior Member

They usually sticky a thread Borden makes on the Panthershuddle forum where you can submit questions. Most of the questions are tongue in cheek.

9. kickazzz2000

kickazzz2000 CURRENTLY ON THE CAN

Fixed

10. Gen Scope

Gen Scope Marginal

:thud: