1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Just so we're all on the same page

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by Shrapnel, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Stinky

Everyone agrees that a playoff would be a better way to crown a Nat. Champ. and the BCS is, well, unintelligent? Right? Right.

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

Actually I've proven conclusively that it isn't.

3. gottalaugh

gottalaugh dumbass

:roflmao:

4. Clay

Clay Full Access Member

So why doesn't every other sport convert to the BCS method?

5. udontknowme

udontknowme Full Access Member

Colon,

I think we've been over this, but just because you declare yourself to be the winner of the argument, this does not make it true. Like declaring that getting beaten up over an internet argument makes you more of a man and you should be proud of this and not incredibly embarrassed....you may think this, but you are wrong.

6. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

:deal:

7. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Stinky

Actually, just the opposite. Now I know I made you mad by making you look stupid, but when you're wrong, own up to it and admit it.

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

It seems like you would have noticed that I have answered this question numerous times in recent years. Sports prefer playoffs because the TV NETWORKS prefer playoffs, and the networks prefer playoffs because they generate the highest level of concentrated interest. Do you think the NCAA expanded from an initial field of 8 to the current 65 because it was more fair? No. They did it because the networks wanted more games. Do you think NASCAR instituted "the Chase" because it was more fair? No. They did it because that's what ABC wanted. Playoffs are used and have been expanded over time because that's how each sport makes the most money through advertising.

9. Sooner Dave

Sooner Dave Full Access Member

Actually, the Chase for the <insert name here> Cup in NASCAR was implemented in 2004. Coverage at that time was FOX for the first half of the season and NBC/TNT for the 2nd half....ESPN/ABC was shut out of the tracks and had to have reporters interview drivers as they were leaving for the day.
    So I can assure you that ABC was not consulted on what they wanted in this case.

10. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

If the BCS way is so much better, but the NCAA is being held hostage by TV, then why don't they use the BCS model for their non-revenue sports? Seems it would be a lot cheaper to stage one game than a whole women's soccer tournament, and if it's so obviously the way to go it would make sense on all levels.