1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

I am sure it has been asked....

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality Forum' started by Plate Dad, Jun 13, 2010.

1. BigVito

BigVito Splitting Headache

Brain, how do we decide what is literal and what is figurative or metaphorical? Noah's Ark? Jonah and the Great Fish? Jesus' resurrection? All can be read as metaphoric.

2. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Personally that's where faith becomes the key. I know you opinions. I'm not gonna bash yours and you seem respectful when talking one on one to me, but you have been known to bash. I'm assuming its because you've encountered some bad representatives of the Christian religion in the past, and I'll apologize for them. Some Christians are misguided. Jesus's teachings actually allowed for choice. He wanted people to follow God of their own choosing. Not by having it forced on them. But you have a history of attacking the religion and I ask you don't do that here. Just a personal request from me to you. I'll be happy to talk with you about it. Even if you disagree, but I'm requesting no attacks. I'm also bothered by Plate's apparent attempt to bait people into a snipe attack.

As I've said before a key to Christianity is faith. I honestly believe it will become easy for people to DISBELIEVE. No one will ever prove Christianity real or fake until the day we move on from this existence. If it were easy to believe there would in many ways be no point in Christ's sacrifice.

As for what's real and what's not, I believe all of them are real, but the exact details aren't known. For example lets say Noah had an Ark with most animals. Maybe not necessarily all. The point of the story is still conveyed, but arguing the possibility that they would or wouldn't be able to all ignores the true point of the story. That God told him of an upcoming flood.

I do believe Jesus. I believe he was God's son. Actually a part of God himself sent from heaven. The Jews and Muslims both acknowledge his existence. So he was on this earth. Debating how he got here and how he left are the only real questions. That's when I as a Christian have to rely on my faith. Once again no one will be able to prove it yes or no till the last day, but my true belief is that it did.

3. BigVito

BigVito Splitting Headache

This is R&S and I don't "bash" in here. I do ask questions, just like the one I asked you in my post.

I believe the Bible is full of truths while not necessarily being "true." I think we can agree on that to a certain extent based on your response earlier.

I'll ask again, how can one decide which things in the Bible are metaphorical and which are fact. How do you decide? Do you view the OT as more allegory and metaphor while the NT is of a more journalistic nature?

4. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

it seems the basic premise is that it's all 100% true until such a time as it's been disproven, then it becomes metaphorical.

i suppose in that regard, christians should flock to science as a better way to understand the bible.

5. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Whoa bible battlers!!! I was presented as the trouble maker. The question: Can someone explain Dinosaurs and how they fit into religion? I have looked at your presentation and my question is still left unexplained. You have given me some info. But nothing that would explain how. Dinosaurs were millions of years ago. Sceince has pretty much proven that. The human communication was revolutionized with speech about 200,000 years ago. Symbols were developed about 30,000 years ago, and writing about 7,000.

6. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

There are parts in both books that are literal and metaphorical. However I guess I would agree I find more in the NT to be closer to fact. That's just my belief though.

7. Parker

Parker Full Access Member

When I read the Old Testament, I read it strictly as a history of God dealing with the Jewish people as written by men. The new testament, I read as God's salvation of the world as written by men.

All in all, I view the bible as a guidebook. Its like hiking the AT and reading a guidebook about it. The guidebook might be others experiences and some factual data, but it doesn't make you a hiker. Hiking makes you a hiker. The guidebook just helps you draw on previous experience to make your journey a little easier.

The bible is to help us with our understanding with God. However, understanding God does not create relationship. Prayer, faith and obedience create relationship. The bible just helps you draw on others experiences with God.

8. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

What difference does it really make? Do dinosaurs have anything to do with whether or not you believe that Jesus was the son of God and that he died for your sins? Does the age of the earth or whether the seven days of creation were literally seven days or seven ages really make any difference to the fundamental parts of being a christian?

9. Golden Hammer

Golden Hammer South Pole Elf

You also have no idea what color they were, so there's no telling.

10. Golden Hammer

Golden Hammer South Pole Elf

The Bible never mentions platypuses either, but they exist and may one day become extinct. What is the difference between them and dinosaurs in the scheme of things?