1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Harbinger?

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by morningwood, Apr 27, 2017.

1. morningwood

morningwood Pay for Performance

With a multi-purpose pick like McCaffrey who excels as a receiver out of the backfield, is this a signal from management to Shula of expectations of a more diverse offensive attack? Clearly, everyone knew the offense was anemic. But I was baffled by the redundancy of line up and smash football, specifically because everyone watching knew what was about to happen. Can we expect more passes to our back(s), or will Shula squander the potential this player brings.

As a caveat, I realize that unless Cam can throw a short pass for change, it won't matter. But again, should we consider this a message to the offensive planners?

2. Collin

Collin soap and water

Cam can't throw short passes accurately, so it won't matter. And anyone who expects Shula to suddenly become competent is delusional.

-Purrsecutioner- and Malapoo like this.
  3. morningwood

I don't find Shula much at all but can't help but feel there is a message in this pick. There were stout DB and WR picks available at 8, and we went McCaffrey. I am well pleased with this pick, and hope we can Shula if this doesn't change the attack.

4. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

There's no guarantee that Cam, Shula, or Rivera will even be here in two or three years. I like getting an excellent football player. Worry about the other shit later.

DogBoy likes this.
  5. morningwood

Not trying to be a smart-aleck here, but what other shit? I think this is great pick.

6. Collin

Collin soap and water

People were worried about Fournette's tread but McCaffrey had significantly more touches and hits in college while being 38 pounds lighter. I love Christian's agility and vision, but I can't say that I like the pick because I don't believe in the fit.

7. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

The Panthers are not the optimal fit for McCaffrey. I think that's a fair take.

8. Collin

Collin soap and water

Plus, McCaffrey had the second fewest bench reps among the RBs at the combine. His lack of power shows up on tape where he doesn't really break many tackles or drive defenders for additional yardage. His game is pure elusiveness, which he does extremely well, but makes me nervous in this offense behind this line. And despite being 32 pounds lighter than Fournette, he's not any faster.

9. Collin

Collin soap and water

I think people like morningwood are happy about McCaffrey (after wanting Cook) because he's different, but different isn't necessarily better. Sometimes different is worse.

DogBoy likes this.
  10. morningwood

He's a threat in several ways, right? He should be a fit on most any pro team. Maybe I'm being naive, but this fit business seems superfluous, especially for a talented player regardless of who or what he is. I understand the meaning, but this is a weapon that potentially can do several things well.

Keep a defense off balance once in a while, for God's sake.