1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

finally going hd

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Superfluous_Nut, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

okay, so i've decided it's time to upgrade my tv system. i've been putting it off because, frankly, i don't feel like i'm missing anything with my current set up, but components are starting to act up so i figure i might as well upgrade.

i'm looking at going with something in the 46" range. probably led. i doubt i'll go with 3D, but maybe the 3D aspect isn't a huge cost on the tv side of things.

i'd need a blu ray player and some kind of central system to control inputs. i have a roku currently, but i'm also considering something like google tv. i have directv, so i'll probably just upgrade to hd and get a new dvr/receiver.

i'm somewhat partial to sony, but i know there are other good tv makers out there...

so the question is, what kind of suggestions would you guys make in terms of components and putting it all together?

2. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

I've done nothing recently. Still running the 720 42" panny from years back. We got a blu-ray for Christmas, but that's it. I'm no help...

3. Superfluous_Nut

Superfluous_Nut pastor of muppets

i'm a little unclear as to what the normal connection system is like for hd. i mean, do you just plug shit into your tv and drive speakers from it? or do you set up something more complex with a receiver and input switching...?

i've seen "home entertainment systems" that come with speakers and often include a built-in dvd/blu ray player. but not all of them have inputs. the sony one i'm looking at has 2 inputs, but that seems kinda weak. i mean, throw on a dtv tuner and an xbox and that's all you can use?

i'm wondering if hdtv is smarter than that and whether the hdmi cables are bi-directional so that your tv is an input and output device at the same time. so the theory is to plug your devices into the tv like normal and then the tv feeds the receiver to drive the external speakers with whatever signal you select from the tv...

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I still don't have blu-ray. I have to admit I haven't hooked up my receiver to my TV, either, it's good enough. finally plunged in with a 46 Panny plasma a year ago and it's brilliant. I guess I'm waiting for the shine to wear off before I continue to work on it.

5. WilliamJ

WilliamJ SUPERMOD

in my mind there isn't much need for a player anymore, too easy to stream and on demand.

6. y2b

y2b King of QC

PS3 for Blu-ray, LED for TV

but blu-ray players are so cheap now and the PS3 does get pretty warm...

get the warranty

:twocents:

7. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

I've got a Bose System for surround sound. Multi HDMI inputs to 1 HDMI output going into TV. PS3 for Blu-Ray, DirecTV with HD and DVR, and any game systems if you want.

As far as TVs go -- Samsung, LG are tops. Second tier Sony and Sanyo. There's a third tier of Panasonic etc. After the third tier it goes to the el cheapos. Which can be good for secondary TVs or for a budget, but if you're going higher end I wouldn't look that way.

PS- there are a good few more that would be listed w/ Panasonic in the third tier, but frankly didn't feel like going thru the trouble of trying to remember them all.

8. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

I got a 48" Vizeo 240htz 1080 and LOVE IT. Got it at Sams.com after looking bought it online for ~950 dollars. I thought about 3D but am waiting for the next generation 3D that doesn't require glasses from what I have read

9. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

My fist LCD TV was a 27 inch Vizio. Good little TV but it is secondary to the 46 and 40 inch LCD Samsungs I also have. I can tell a difference in quality, but for the price, the Vizio works just fine.

10. Fro

Fro FFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffff

52" Samsung LCD. Fucking bad ass TV.

I've got a 42" LG 120hz LCD in my "game room" and it kicks ass too.

I think I need a new receiver, the one i currently have doesn't do hd audio pass through for blu rays.

if you get a bad ass tv, a blu ray player is a must.

fuck 3d. why even bother.