1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Every year 1 step forward, 2 steps back

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by HeadCase, May 2, 2007.

Do Hurney and Fox have us

1. Moving forward

21 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. Treading in water

24 vote(s)
    48.0%
  3. Taking two steps backs every year

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Sinking in quicksand

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. HeadCase

HeadCase dazed and confused

Isn't time for a good old honest TBR assessment of Hurney's and Fox's job performances?

WP, please expand on the emotion of us taking one step forward and two steps back every year.

2. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

I think they can be blamed for not having 2 starting-caliber backup offensive lineman last season. Shame on them.

3. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I don't think it's realistic to come up with a starter every year at every position we ever have a need at, and come up with future starters also. Philosophically, the TE and S problems are just there. The staff apparently has limitations to what they'll do in that regard, which is unfortunate, but I can understand that role players at some spots can help add talent elsewhere. Specifically, at TE, things made a lot more sense thinking about a very solid 3 WR set that we could use up to 40% of the time, but that was pre-post-Keyshawn.

I don't have a major problem with Fox's performance in five years at all. I do believe he got outcoached at times, a fair number of them last year - no, don't have any examples right at this moment, maybe after I wake up. But overall, I still like and respect the scheme and how the players are managed.

Hurney? Average. Don't have major issues there, wish we could draft better, I think we give up too much money to our own guys to re-sign, and last year's FA crop looks like a group of mistakes right now.

Regardless, I don't think the Keyshawn decision requires a full re-evaluation of the franchise. I'll reiterate I thought this was a stupid, stupid decision. I don't really say that often with this team.

And I felt like we were really moving forward, significantly, before yesterday. I think we took some of that momentum away, and that hurts. It'll make this draft, theoretically, smarter because we can pencil in another starter (and we could start up to 4 of these guys opening day, now). That doesn't make this decision the correct one.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  4. Wp28

Wp28 I had that dream again...

Excellent place to start...

Off the top of my head - Under Fox and Hurney: (prior to this year)

Drafted: Gross, Nelson, Mathis, Hangartner, Berger, Campion, Butler, Montgomery. (8)

Free Agents: Hartwig, Meadows, Wahle, Bridges, Batiste. (5)

Waiver claimed: Peko (1)

Via Trade: Fordham, Collins (2)

Signed to extensions: Kadela, Ferrario. (2)

and we couldn't put together a line last year to save our lives.

5. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

Yes, doesn't say much for Fox and Hurney's ability to spot NFL capable people to step in when the inevitable injuries crop up.

6. chipshotx

chipshotx Full Access Member

we were probably more talented Fox's second year than now

7. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

'NFL capable' - yes

'starting-caliber' - no

8. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

I'd agree with that.

9. UNCdubya

UNCdubya Full Access Member

Is Fox making the picks or is Hurney? Our talent evaluation is suspect as best, when you keep making bad picks, you have to make the same pick again two years later, which is what keeps happening to us. That leaves holes in other areas because you have to draft that WR again in two years because the first one you drafted in the 2nd sucks, or the RB, or the OL. I cant blame Fox for any of that. Hurney on the other hand...

And as far as Fox's coaching, we were in the majority of games last year, and players made mistakes that cost us the game. Granted, the O was a little predictable, but still, we had our chances.

10. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Does any of this lack of talent blame fall on Softli?