1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

danny ford rumor

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by LarryD, May 1, 2003.

1. QueenCityHillbilly

QueenCityHillbilly Bitch, I Will Kill You

Just cause you went to skool down there doesn't mean you know everything about the Tide.

2. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

yes I do

3. DaveW

DaveW Super Moderator

Price is gone.

4. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

oh, lordy, this is good stuff. apparently, they warned him before the trip about his behavior.

dont even tell me that joe kines is a candidate. hah!

5. Piper

Piper phishin member

Coughlin is interested, I hear.

6. HighPoint49er

HighPoint49er Full Access Member

Statement from former University of Alabama head football coach Mike Price
    May 03, 2003

"I've got some notes here, and I want to make sure I don't forget anything in my announcement today.

"Over the past several days, I have been saddened by the rumors that have been swirling about my conduct. I have numerous truthful and honest discussions with the president and our Athletic Director Mal Moore -- our fine Athletic Director Mal Moore, who has dedicated many, many years of service to this university and I was proud to have been picked by him.

"I had truthful and honest discussions regarding my conduct with these two gentlemen. And I have to apologize from my heart for the errors in my judgement to them. Publicly, I want to apologize to my wife, my family, the team and the coaches. The athletic department and Alabama support staff has been just tremendous. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. They have been standing up for me, the players have, the coaches have, the secretaries -- two of my graduate assistant secretaries wrote letters to the president. Two equipment managers walked over and sat there for an hour for an opportunity to talk to the president on my behalf. I really appreciate you for standing by me and standing up for me. I beg for your forgiveness, and I pray to God every day for his forgiveness.

"To the university and the entire Bama Nation, I admit making mistakes, and at times inappropriate conduct. But I also ask you for my forgiveness. I have come to appreciate the honor and the privilege associated with Alabama football and the football program and the history and tradition of this place. To realize that I may have adversely affected the program in any way is really personally devastating to me.

"I want to make this clear to everyone listening, I pledge to everyone ? any place in the country, not just Alabama -- that something like this will never, ever happen again to Mike Price. I will learn from this, and I will seek help to improve certain areas of my personal life that need improving.

"I have asked President Witt for a second chance, and he declined. What ever happened to a second chance in life? I've been doing this for many years, and you don't have to go very many places to ask my players about second chances in life. But President Witt did not give me that opportunity. I wanted to make something positive out of this negative.

"I really, truly believe that the University of Alabama is bigger and better than this, that we could have overcome this. Why do we have a university? What is a university? A real quick definition is that it is a university of higher learning, that's what they call it. It's about teaching people about life, real life, real life mistakes and overcoming real life adversity. Growing from a teenager into a man. Sending people out into the real world. I really felt like this was an opportunity to stand up, to stand behind me, to stand behind someone they said they believed in, and help him be a better person and overcome this adversity and learn from it. Students, players, faculty, alumni, everyone. I didn't get that opportunity.

"I don't know what kind of world it would be, or how many people would be in that world, if it was a world where you make one mistake and you're done. This university's image is about real people, about changing people's lives. For years and years, it has stood behind its' people through adversity and through the mistakes they have made. But not this time.

"I felt like I could have been the one who could have carried us through this. It could have been a great lesson for us. The whole lesson could have been more important than any sports talk show, any Internet, anything else, any football game or any football player. I could have been an example, and will be an example, to see what happens to you when you make a mistake, you get knocked down. I will show everyone what kind of person Mike Price is. We call them in football teaching opportunities, here's an opportunity. I felt this was an opportunity for the university, and I don't think the punishment meets the crime.

"I strongly feel I was the man who could have put this behind us, and I think President Witt is making a mistake. He's not breaking the law, but he's making an error in judgement. Would he be judged by making errors of judgement, or if he makes a mistake or a professor makes a mistake on campus, is this going to happen? Are you going to give him a second chance if he makes an error in judgement?

"I do not think this is the best thing for this program right now at this time, for this team or for these football players.

"One week ago, I could have made a statement, but at the request of President Witt, I was asked not to say anything, and I dutifully did my job and didn't say anything. And then I didn't get an opportunity to go into the Board of Trustees and give them my side of the story. I just don't think it's right.

"To my players, I wish you the best of luck in everything you do, and I'll always be there for you. I love every one of you guys, and you know that. We've only been together four months, and yet you were willing to stand up and sacrifice years of eligibility and your career to stand by me, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. And I love every one of you to death.

"I don't know if you remember four months ago, but I think that you felt like I came here as a man with dignity and class. And I am going to go out as a man of dignity and class. One mistake, one day of mistakes, will not change the integrity and the character I have had for 57 years. I am going to get through this, and I am going to be a better person because of it. I hope that you will respect my privacy for the next few days, and the privacy of my family. I am not going to be making any more comments, and neither will they. I would appreciate your help in that. Sorry, no questions."

7. HighPoint49er

Comments of University of Alabama President Robert E. Witt
    May 03, 2003

“Coach Mike Price is a great coach and a good man. He is a man who has made a mistake that he deeply regrets. It is a mistake that severely hurt our university, and will hurt our university for years to come. To be selected for a leadership position at the University of Alabama is an honor and a responsibility. When you accept the honor, you accept the responsibility. That responsibility includes conducting your personal and professional life in a manner consistent with university policy.

“My greatest regret today is for a group of young men that I have only recently had an opportunity to meet personally, our football players, who bear no responsibility for the situation this university is in, but once again will have to endure a period of uncertainty.

“The trustees of this university have charged me with the responsibility to make decisions that I believe best serve the interests of this university. I greatly appreciate the advice and counsel I have received from members of the Board of Trustees Athletics Committee today and in recent days.

“I am today, in accordance with applicable university policy, terminating Coach Price’s employment.

FROM QUESTIONS
    “Coach Price had been warned several weeks before about his public conduct. His conduct in Florida was not consistent with the warning he received.”

“The role of the Athletics Committee and the other board members who were in the room with me was to provide advice and counsel, and they did.”

“This afternoon, Athletic Director Mal Moore will meet with the team and available team members, he will meet with the coaches and he and I are scheduled to meet tomorrow morning and immediately begin the process of recruiting a new head football coach.”

“I think the support that I received for Coach Price from his players and from other people in the athletic community is an indication of the high regard in which he is held. This situation is not about high regard, it is not about past performance, it is not about a single mistake. It is about the responsibility of all university officers to conduct themselves at all times in a manner consistent with university policy. This is a sad day for a good man, this is a sad day for some wonderful football players, this is a sad day for us.”

“Based on my review of the situation, I concluded that what occurred in Florida was not consistent with university policy concerning the conduct of university officials.

“Mal Moore will play a leadership role during the transition. I am not certain at this point whether it will be necessary to name an interim coach. I am very optimistic that we will be announcing in the near future a permanent coach.”

“I think it would be premature at this point to speculate on who will or will not be on that list.”

“It was difficult thinking about the impact of this decision on the near term, but that was not the most difficult issue I wrestled with. The two most difficult issues for me personally is that this decision involves the lives and careers of a good man and his family. But more importantly, this decision involves the best interests of this university in the long term.”

“No decisions have been made on that, but I am optimistic that several of the coaches will elect to remain with us.”

“Athletic Director Mal Moore spoke with Coach Price several weeks ago regarding his public conduct. That is the warning I am referring to.”

“[Did Coach Price’s behavior involve breaking any laws?] To the best of my knowledge, no.”

“There has been no discussion of severance.”

“I am concerned about the program, and I am even more concerned about the players. I am hopeful that the rich tradition of football at this university, and all that it has come to mean to the university and to our state, would cause those young men to remain and play in the coming season for our new coach.”

“Mal Moore’s job is not in jeopardy.”

“Immediately after this session breaks, Mal Moore will be going to meet with all available players to help them through this very difficult transition.”

8. HighPoint49er

Comments of Athletic Director Mal Moore
    May 03, 2003

“This is a sad day for all of us, and certainly for Coach Price and his family. I feel strongly for him about the situation that we’re in and he’s in, and also for our players. It is very, very tough.”

“[Do you have anyone in mind to replace Coach Price?} No. We will meet this afternoon and tomorrow, at Dr. Witt’s request.”

“I visited with Coach Price on several occasions with Dr. Witt.”

“I will go visit with [the players], because this is very hard on them.”

“I feel so bad for Coach Price. He is a good man. It was unbelievable the people who called me about him, recommending him and being so high on him.”

“I was just with him, and it is very hard to go through.”

9. PantherPaul

PantherPaul Nap Enthusiasts

I hear today that yes former Jaguars coach Coughlin was interested but that the interest was pretty much one sided. The University wasn't as interested. Gene Stallings said he would do anything to help out the University. Seems like that would hurt the growth of the football team. Pretty old school smash mouth ball. I could see him being there for a year maybe two before turning it over to someone else. Seems like it would have to be a professional assistant coach for someone outside the current regime :huh:

10. T_Schroll

T_Schroll Full Access Member

Price's biggest mistake was spending recruit money on strippers. He may have gotten at least a lineman with a grand.