1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning house

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by rake, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Big Red

Big Red Alpha, Thing, It

That's quite a synopsis. Are you a fan of the "two gap" system in an even "over/under" front? Your response will illustrate your true understanding of the game.

Sincerely,

Obe Wan

2. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

Yes, I am. I'm not going to pretend to be some savant or even know a ton, but I know the difference between a 4/3 and a 3/4 front. We're going to use both at different times anyay.

Edit: Dammit, I misread your fucking trick question. I'm going to leave my "Yes I am" response as a monument to my stupidity.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2018
  3. Black&Black

Black&Black Try My Product

I would also set aside about 5 million annually for a high end backup quarterback. Unless we trade Cam, which I think is less likely than our playoff chances, you have to proceed as if he's going to miss 3-4 games a year because of his shoulder.

4. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

Depends on what's actually wrong with it.

5. Black&Black

True, but it will be 3-4 games at minimum. The last three years, he's only been healthy for about 12 games a year, and it's not as if this is going to improve as he ages. That's just the reality on the ground, and you have to bake that into the cap situation going forward. 5 million is approximately the going rate for a quality backup. With Cam being relatively cheap, this is workable. Of course, you could also draft a guy, but the idea is to have someone you can plug in and play at the first sign of trouble.

6. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

So, after re-signing all our guys who make a decent core of a team, we'll have about 12 million in cap room. This is what I think, and I'm not as smart as the guys who do it for a living. I know we'll need five of that for rookies. If we spend five more on a backup QB who's an improvement over Heinicke, and cut Kalil post June 1, we would then have 10 million to play with. If we cut Kalil we will need next year's version of Chris Clark for depth, which should leave us around 7-8 million. What can Hurney do with that, and what do you think he'll do with it?

7. Black&Black

Addison is an interesting case because I do think he is a JAG. We've just managed to develop him into a dependable 10 sack guy. The truth is, we haven't had an alpha at that position since Peppers 1.0. Hardy and CJ were close, but I always considered them B+.

8. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

Cutting Addison post June 1 would get us another 8 million to play with, which gets us into Clowney territory. I don't think Hurney has the balls to do that. (please surprise me Marty!)

9. Black&Black

Well, again, I'd hope Marty Hurney isn't the one making these decisions. That's the first thing. I don't think we need to go "all in" on a premium free agent. This is already a top heavy roster. I think we need to draft consistantly well and then backfill with free agents. We need to focus more on the upper middle part of the roster.

10. Cyberjag

Cyberjag RAMFB

You want Hurney gone but lean toward Rivera staying?