1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Charlotte 49er Football

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by VA49er, Sep 25, 2010.

1. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

2. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

The key is gonna be the 15,000+ for 2 consecutive years.

3. VA49er

Yeah, but that shouldn't be a problem is the AD would start promoting tickets (not just FSLs) and if the AD does not screw up tailgating.

It'll hurt bball a bit, but the time for protecting bball has passed.

4. VA49er

Looks like a move back to CUSA is becoming more likely.

Conference USA reloading by adding 6 schools

5. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

6. VA49er

We linked to the same article. CUSA of today is no where near the league it was the first time Charlotte was in the league but it is FBS. Then again, the sports landscape is not the same either. This is all driven by $$$ so I understand it in that regard. Does kind of suck to leave the A10 if VCU, Butler, and Mason join that league. The A10 will be a really good bball league IF those teams join even with the loss of Temple to the Big East. As far as other sports like baseball, I think CUSA will be better. All I know is this is really pissing off some App St fans, which is alright with me.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  7. BUCKO

BUCKO Full Access Member

This sets up football well, which in today's landscape you need above all else. They have a ready and willing place to go to in the FBS now, which they wouldn't have had in the A-10. I personally think the chance at rivalries forming is better in C-USA too, which more than anything hurt them in the A-10 I think.

8. VA49er

The A10 is a northern league comprised of mainly private schools so Charlotte just didn't fit in geographically. CUSA is better for all other sports, especially football and baseball, but not good for basketball. Oh well.

Geography is so much better in CUSA, at least what will become the East Division with Charlotte, ECU, Marshall and hopefully ODU. Is it a premier conference, hell no, but what this does is get Charlotte to the FBS ($$$) and in position for any future conference changes in say 5-10 years when a larger FBS conference comes looking for the Charlotte market.

9. sds70

sds70 'King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me!!!!!'

So how long will it take UNC Charlotte to ramp up to FBS in CUSA? 5 years?

At least Charlotte football will have a future home now and natural rivals with ODU, Marshall, & ECU . . . Hopefully this will encourage someone to cough up the cash and put in lights at Richardson/McColl Field sooner vs. later so we can get some much needed exposure starting in 2013 when the team kicks off . . .

Hmmmmm, if the Mountain West/CUSA mega merger occurs (if not a full one but just agreeing to schedule games against each other in as many sports as possible) I think UNLV is in the MW; A trip out to the Neon City would be a nice future road trip for a football weekend hee, hee :) :) !!!!

10. VA49er

There is no definite answer to when the football will begin FBS, but the timeframe I've read is 2015. The timeframe has definitely moved up given the CUSA invite. Coach can now start looking at FBS caliber guys during recruiting to help get geared up for the move. Charlotte may be a cool landing spot for FBS transfers that want to transfer in 2014 from oher schools and not have to sit out a year. I think that's how that would work.

Anyway, I think this is good for the program, although it should have occured a decade ago. Better late than never I guess.

Last edited: May 4, 2012