1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Money & Finance Forum' started by VA49er, Aug 18, 2009.

1. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

When is it a good time to drop collision auto insurance? I have two 2002 vehicles that I'm still paying both collision and liability. Thinking about just dropping collision. Is there a good rule of thumb to know when to drop collision?

2. tonync55

tonync55 Full Access Member

Unfortunately you can't drop collision and have comprehension also. I always drop my collision when I get a vehicle paid for. There are many factors to consider. One is do you have an inexperienced driver on your policy. If so canceling the collision will save you a bunch. Another thing to consider is how high of a deductible are you carrying. Most people carry a $500 deductible on collision to get the rate down and that's a lot to pay out of your pocket for a fender bender. I know I have paid out a lot more over the years for collision insurance than I've every collected. That's why I cancel it when I can and take my chances.

3. VA49er

Cars have been paid for for probably 4 years and I'm just now thinking of dropping collision for some reason. I guess having two kids had my mind on other things. I think I'm going to drop it and just keep the legally madated liability insurance. If either of us has a wreck I'm sure the insurance company will just total the car anyway.

4. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Do not know if there is a

rule. I would look at what repair cost would be. It is cheaper to repair a car that has parts available and can be repaired by most shops. You know most america made cars are fairly simple. But when you look at foreign cars like BMW's They have less places that you can get good repairs done. Go to a body shop and ask what would it cost for repairs such as a bumper repair or fender/quarter panel repair. This will give you some idea of what it may cost and if it would be worth it. Also, keep in mind of a rental car. This can be a plus if insurance is paying.

5. melonhead

melonhead cohort

Shut up. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Don't go and ask body shops hypothetical questions. You'll piss them off for wasting their time. Only an idiot would do that.

Every collision is different- a small fender job might break a tie rod or ball joint or bend the axle. A small hit to the front end might do more than damage a bumper- you might need a new headlight assembly or radiator support (etc.)

Also, any good body shop can fix any fucking car.

6. VA49er

Ownage.

7. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

I know what you're saying, but, when my DeVille got a fender-bender I wouldn't trust just any shop to do the work, I took it to the Cadillac dealer to do the work. Their being a Cad dealer, I didn't have any qualms at holding them to a high standard.

8. melonhead

melonhead cohort

You shouldn't have qualms at holding any reputable shop to a high standard [​IMG]

9. VA49er

To each his own but iif you find another high quality non dealer shop your repari costs will decrease substantially.

10. Southern_Yankee

Southern_Yankee Full Access Member

or drop the collision and drive that tank (the caddi) into the ground