1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Butch Davis...UNC...

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by Freakshow, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Freakshow

Freakshow Fuck you guys.

Sources have told CarolinaBlue.com that Butch Davis, former Miami Hurricanes' head coach and later head coach for the National Football League's Cleveland Browns, is waiting to see what happens with the head coaching job at Alabama before he will commit to become the next head coach at North Carolina.

Sources have indicated that Butch Davis is showing interest in some college football programs, UNC included.
    Representatives from UNC have been speaking with Davis or his representatives, according our sources, but Davis apparently has said that he wants to see what happens at the University of Alabama and coach Mike Shula before he makes a decision. He would probably take the job with the Crimson Tide if offered.

Carolina is prepared to pay a hefty sum, sources say. The term being used is "Roy money," referring the amount of money basketball coach Roy Williams is paid.

UNC has never paid a football coach that kind of money, which could approach or exceed $2 million per year. One trustee said that he knows the faculty will "go nuts" when it learns of what the school may wind up paying its two high-profile athletic coaches.

The other part of this is the school is apparently willing to give Davis a long-term contact. Our sources could not pinpoint what this means in number of years, but it would imply that the contract would exceed the normal five years.

UNC is not just going to sit and wait on Davis, according our sources. The officials working on this deal (according to insiders Dick Baddour is not among those involved) are continuing to pursue other options and investigate other people on the list, such as West Virginia head coach Rich Rodriquez.

2. bkfountain

bkfountain Full Access Member

lol, the same kind of sources that say miami has already started talking with butch davis. It's safe to say he's interested in any college job that could be, would be, or is open...as it only helps raise the competition over him.

3. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

Not bad for a basketball school with no fan support. :hat:

4. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

What the hell? I didn't know Shula was in that kind of trouble.

5. Trace

Trace Full Access Member

Seriously, are there a lot of coaches who would be interested in the job in the first place?

6. bkfountain

bkfountain Full Access Member

people are saying alabama is like vanderbilt. They play hard for like 3 quarters, give up the game, and celebrate over how hard they played. moral victories don't count in the record books.

They also don't like how the ending of games falls apart due to the conservative coaching.

7. kshead

kshead What's the spread?

Butch Davis just treated UNC like the sheriff treated Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugitive.

"I'll be with you in a minute".

8. Freakshow

Freakshow Fuck you guys.

Yep...if the football schools aren't interested in me...I'll consider UNC...for about 2 million...

:deal:

9. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

same here. I know they barely beat Texas Tech with a field goal in the Cotton Bowl, but they did win. Would they fire him after winning the cotton bowl? Without Prothro? DaveW might know more about Alabamas situation, but Id say Shula has at least one more year.

10. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

From what I hear Shula is safe for at least another year at Bama. The boosters aren't happy with his offense and feel he needs to hire an OC. If he brings in an OC he'll probably stay at Bama.

But if he doesn't and I were UNC I'd be all over Shula.