1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Breakthroughs

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Piper, May 29, 2002.

1. Piper

Piper Guest

Well, we haven't had a lot of breakthroughs in the past few years. But we've usually had one or two young guys step up and become players. In 1999, it was Moose. In 2000, Minter. In 2001, Rucker, and perhaps Smith as a special teamer.

So who is it going to be this year, and why? I know we'd all like a whole list, this team needs to some more playmakers.

On thing though. Moose, Minter, Rucker. All second round picks, each third year players. Past history holds true, I guess it's Grant's turn to step up.

2. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

Jenkins would be my guess... and maybe one of our mid round rookies

3. Y2Buddy

Y2Buddy Guest

With all do respect, Smith has talent, but it's going to be a long long time before I stop holding my breath whenever he touches the ball. And not because I think he's going all the way. Sometimes, I just refuse to look.

Who will step up and become a player this year? Morgan. I know your asking for seconds, but I think this year Morgan goes to the Pro Bowl, and it will be well deserved.

Don't let Foster slip by you either, just because he's a rookie doesn't mean he can become a player right away for this team.

I'm all for the men in the middle, the Foster and Morgan show.

4. Piper

Piper Guest

I think Morgan may well start playing at a high level if he can get his feet under him. I don't know if he will actually go to the Pro Bowl, seeing how many deserving players got jobbed last year.

We could use a number of players to step up.

5. McFly41

McFly41 Guest

I don't see Morgan going to the Pro-Bowl yet. Not that his play wouldn't qualify him, but lately it seems to be a matter of seniority.
    Morgan will be key to our defensive success and Grant should step up as well in a more aggressive D.
    On offense, Foster would be the name that jumps out at most. However, I will say either James or Jordan is going to have a break out year. I know, I know, how does a lineman have a break out year...it's hard to tell. I watched both of them at times last year and they both showed flashes, with the changes made I expect one of these two guys to step up at RG. I have a feeling Donnelly won't be around for long.

6. Piper

Piper Guest

We'll see if Nesbit is worth holding on to. He greatly improved, lowering his sack number quite a bit, and had a few pancake blocks. He signed a one year, million dollar deal, we might be well served to try and sign him long term before he gets expensive.

7. McFly41

McFly41 Guest

Yeah, Piper. I would say Nesbit had his step up season last year, it just got clouded by a 1-15 record. Nesbit really played well last year in my opinion. He finally showed a little bit of an attitude.
    If he has a decent year this year, he should be locked in for three or four years.

8. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    Well, in the NFC, you don't have the mass of MLB that AFC does, where you can be damn good and still be behind Lewis, Bell, Seau, and a deserving Spikes. I think that we'll see Brooking step up as a game-breaker MLB this year, and Urlacher seems to be the consensus best middle man in the NFC, but past that there's not a whole lot stopping Morgan from being that level player, and he's the most complete of the three.

9. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    now to address the actual question - a damn good one IMO - I dunno.

I think Grant will grow into his natural role this year, but his numbers last year show he was already at a high level. He would have to bring a lot more to the table to be considered a breakthrough, because he was just short of that last year IMO, where he made as many plays as any player on D statistically.

Similarly, I don't know that Morgan's year will be leaps and bounds ahead, because he did make a few plays last year (and I don't expect him to ever be a Seau-type playmaker as compared to a Ken Norton ultra-solid and punishing player) and his adjusted stats (taking into account missed time) are already very good.

But I do expect both to be a big part of next year, a real big part.

Jenkins has the best chance to break out. He won't be drawing the most attention, and yet he has as much first step ability as anyone we have, with the strength to finish the way Peter never did. Depends on what you consider breakthrough, because for a DT it's largely sacks - most DTs get no attention as outstanding unless they're recognized by the media as runstoppers or they physically make plays anyone can see.

I don't think that we'll see any of our outside linebackers break through. I wouldn't expect any skill position offensive player to break out unless Foster catches fire and gets a lot of time.

10. Shocker

Shocker Guest

I hope like hell its Weinke. :D