1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Breaking News: Tarheel Football

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by gottalaff, Jul 15, 2010.

1. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

First cousin.

She would take a bullet before saying anything negative about her Tarheels. I would take a bullet before repeating it if she did.

2. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

Probably will be suspended for the season.

3. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

Evidently lots of then top recruits got together in Miami. NCAA wants to know who paid for what, etc.....

4. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

lol, your "first cousin" told you this?

5. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

No.

6. Franchise

Franchise Turn it Blue

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Inside Carolina has learned more details into the NCAA investigation involving the North Carolina football program.

As Inside Carolina reported on Thursday evening, the investigation centers on possible improper benefits provided to seniors Marvin Austin, a defensive tackle, and Greg Little, a wide receiver, as well as several other NFL Draft prospects that elected to come back for the 2010 season. The NCAA inquired about benefits coming from non-University influences that included rent, jewelry and travel.

New information has emerged that the travel inquiries included weekend trips to both Miami and Las Vegas. While Austin’s travel expenses to South Florida remain a focal point of the investigation, IC has confirmed that an undisclosed player’s travel expenses for one of the trips in question were properly paid for by an immediate family member.

Despite various players being interviewed by NCAA representatives last week, the investigation has seemingly narrowed to a pair of Tar Heels.

“It’s starting to look like Austin and possibly one other player are the only ones in danger of facing disciplinary action, and that’s not even a sure thing at this point,” a source told IC on the condition of anonymity.

South Carolina confirmed on Sunday that its tight end Weslye Saunders, a Durham, N.C. native, has also spoken with NCAA investigators. ESPN reports that inquiry was concerning time he spent with Austin in South Florida this spring and who paid for hotel rooms and travel.

Inside Carolina has also learned that the NCAA investigation includes the involvement of two high-profile sports agents, one of whom is currently serving as an agent for a former UNC football player.

Austin told IC last December that he received approximately 10 phone calls from various sports agents on Dec. 1, 2009, as the NFL and NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement states that certified contract advisers are allowed to communicate with a player three years removed from his high school graduation after the conclusion of the player's last regular season or conference championship game or Dec. 1, whichever is later.

North Carolina is one of many football programs to host an “Agent Day” on campus during the spring, an event designed to expose players to a representative from the NFL, an agent and a financial adviser. A school official confirmed that UNC held its event this year on Apr. 10.

7. vpkozel

vpkozel Professional Calvinballer

I certainly hope my university has done nothing wrong, but if they did, and it is worthy of punishment, then I hope that they take it and move on.

I will say that some of these allegations do sound silly though, especially the one about Austin borrowing the NFL guy's car. I mean, give me a fucking break.

8. gottalaff

gottalaff Smartass

I had high hopes for the Tar Heels this year.

9. The Brain

The Brain Defiler of Cornflakes

This could get interesting, because I'm stating to get vibes from what I'm reading that UNC may come outta this squeaky clean. WORST case scenario is looking like losing a player or 2 for at most 3 games, and that would be on the player, not the university.

10. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

We'll see. I guess it depends on the $$ involved. Losing Austin on that defense for a couple of games or a season would not be good for the Heels.