1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Beason

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by Piper, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Piper

Piper phishin member

The only thing that bothers me really about this pick is that he "tweaked" his ACL before his pro day. Tore it in 05, played all of 06, and now tweaks it? I hope that's not a problem.

Otherwise, I liked the pick more than most. Our LB play was terrible overall last year, particuarly in tackling. This guy can tackle, form tackle. He takes good angles, has great initial quickness and burst, and is functionally strong for his size.

2. Piper

Piper phishin member

And one other thing, we project to have a starting linebacking corps who were all drafted in the first round by this team. Rare.

3. Collin

Collin soap and water

I think the difficulty some like me had in understanding the pick was why choose him over someone like Posluszny. Beason would be a very good fit for a Cover 2 type scheme, but I would have expected us to take the guy who is equally sound at tackling but a little more physical and with more room to add weight to his frame. I think PP would have fit us better, but hopefully Beason will be sound enough. I like the fact that he's a smart linebacker who probably won't make a ton of mistakes, but he's awfully small.

4. Piper

Piper phishin member

Seward is the only "big" linebacker we've drafted in the Fox era, and he was a late rounder.

Thomas Davis, Anderson, Will Witherspoon, now Beason. It's a pattern. Fox tends to like smaller, more athletic guys. Hopefully we can protect them.

Morgan was thought of as small for MLB when he came out. He had more room to grow than Beason seems to, though.

5. Collin

Collin soap and water

I know it's a trend, which is why it bothers me. We're not the type of defense that traditionally utilizes such players. I'm not exactly looking for a goon, but we're awfully small.

6. McFly41

McFly41 Work Hard...PLAY HARDER!

I just don't like Miami players, period. However, he should be solid against the run, just wish we could get a LB that doesn't list pass coverage in his weaknesses.

7. Elric

Elric Citizen of the Empire

Would rather have had Posluszny.... maybe he'll work out but at that size but I expect him to get worn down pretty quick.

8. kickazzz2000

kickazzz2000 CURRENTLY ON THE CAN

salisbury just pegged him to be droy

9. stratocat63

stratocat63 Full Access Member

And picked us for the SB last year. Point?

10. Thelt

Thelt Full Access Member

Since it appears we are keeping Jenkins and Kemo along with our other DTs we should not have much trouble protecting our linebackers.