1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Al Blades, former UM and NFL safety, dies in car crash

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by LarryD, Mar 20, 2003.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

MIAMI (AP) — Former University of Miami and San Francisco 49ers safety Al Blades was killed early Thursday after the vehicle he was riding in crashed into a bridge and plunged into a canal, police said.
    Blades was a passenger in a 1999 Mazda when the driver, Martel Johnson, 26, lost control of the car at about 2 a.m. Thursday, police said. Witnesses told police that the Mazda was racing another car when the driver lost control.
    Johnson died at the scene. Blades, who celebrated his 26th birthday on Wednesday, was transported to Parkway Regional Medical Center, where he died, hospital spokesman Drew Landmeier said. Authorities were trying to find the driver of the other car.
    ‘‘The University of Miami is deeply saddened to learn of the death of one of our former football players, Al Blades,’’ Miami coach Larry Coker said in a statement. ‘‘Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to the Blades family.’’
    Blades played for the Hurricanes from 1996-2000 and considered the vocal leader of Miami’s secondary during much of his career. He was named to the All-Big East Conference first team in 2000.
    Blades signed as a free agent with the San Francisco 49ers and spent two years on their roster. His brothers, Bennie and Brian, also played for the Hurricanes and the NFL.
    Blades is the second former Miami player to die in a car crash in a little more than a year. Linebacker Chris Campbell died when his car hit a tree in Coral Gables in February 2002.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    that family's been so blessed, but it's also gone through so much. Wasn't one a murder suspect at one time?
    That sucks,either way.

3. dig-it

dig-it Wait'n On That Post Rookie Deal

The Blades family seems to be cursed.

4. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

as fans of bobby phills can attest...street racing is a bad idea.

5. QueenCityHillbilly

QueenCityHillbilly Bitch, I Will Kill You

and since I never gave one for Bobby, 13.