1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2009 gardens

Discussion in 'Home Improvement & DIY Forum' started by token, Mar 5, 2009.

1. token

token I'm a lady

Whatcha planting?

There's about a month left before our last frosts here. Good time this weekend to get seeds in dirt inside and direct sow cool weather crops outdoors.

My tomatoes are doing great in the basement. 6 varieties so far. Will be starting the cherry seeds this weekend.

Attached Files:

2. chipshotx

chipshotx Full Access Member

I'm cutting back this year. All of my effort went to the squirrells, rats, and birds. Plus I will most likely be moving to a house a few blocks away in Summer. I can move some containers but don't want to have to move too much.

san marzano tomatoes and probably one other type
    habaneros
    herbs

3. token

token I'm a lady

I've got san marzanos too. I planted all beefsteak and better boys last year. Want to try something new this time around.

4. VA49er

VA49er Full Access Member

All I have done so far is put down some lime. Evidently there is like 10 inches of snow on the ground so I probably will not be doing anything else for a while. Never have gotten into planting seeds inside and then transplanting.

5. plutosgirl

plutosgirl It's a Liopleurodon!!!

Yay!!!! Tomatoes!!!

Are you going to the spring show this weekend by chance token?

edit: Nevermind, I just got my answer ;)

6. chipshotx

chipshotx Full Access Member

Where did you get them? I'm about to order some.

7. jazzbluescat

jazzbluescat superstar...yo.

I'm going to try my hand at straw bailing some tomatoes, possibly some herb.

8. token

token I'm a lady

I trade for seeds on gardenweb.com. I've got several varieties now. I also purchase seeds from Wal-Mart and Lowes. Some of the unusual varieties all came from trades. But your standard ones are available in the stores.

Plu, I'm not going to the show. In GSO this May, there will be a better plant show with few gutter guard salespeople. It seems more interesting than a couple of displays and lots of vendors selling garden rocks and windchimes.

Been looking at that haybale idea too. I'm thinking I might try my cukes that way this year. I'm also planning to use a trellis rather than letting them sprawl on the ground.

9. HollyB

HollyB Iz Lives

Do you guys ever use Heirloom seeds or just regular?

10. token

token I'm a lady

All of the traded seeds are heirlooms by definition. People save seeds from each year and trade them. Tomatoes are usually self pollinated. A light breeze is all it takes since the stamen and the pistils are all contained in the very small bloom. For cukes, squash, etc, I just plant what I buy or save from my own. Since I didn't have any squash to speak of last year, I saved some from someone else's garden. Cukes, I bought.

Wal-Mart has American Seeds for 20cents per pack. The selection is kind of small already.

All the tomatoes I grow will be saved for trading seeds later. I hope to can or freeze a lot of tomatoes for next winter.