1. This Board Rocks has been moved to a new domain: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

All member accounts remain the same.

Most of the content is here, as well. Except that the Preps Forum has been split off to its own board at: http://www.prepsforum.com

Welcome to the new Carolina Panthers Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2003 draft -- panthers have no. 1

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by LarryD, Sep 2, 2002.

1. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

hypothetically...

so, what five college players should the panthers be scouting the heaviest this season?

here's five:

byron leftwich, qb, marshall
    roy williams, wr, texas
    eli manning, qb, ole miss
    seneca wallace, qb, iowa state
    ken dorsey, qb, miami

2. VOR

VOR Guest

depends if Stevil is successful. Then Bandit Ball will be the rage next year. And JR will certainly try that fad too. In that instance they should go after Rex Grossman.

Also who ever is quaterbacking FIU, Strock seems to have forgotten that he has a div II program, they're kicking ass. Looks like there will be another good Div I program in florida soon.

3. McFly41

McFly41 Guest

I would drop Dorsey from that list and add Dave Ragone. That poor bastard got his ass kicked all over the field by the Kentucky D, and still popped up for more. He's going to have better days and showed that he can make tough throws under pressure.
    I just don't see Dorsey as an NFL QB...like most other Miami QB's over the last decade. They have all been VERY forgetable.
    I really like Wallace and not just because he's at ISU. He showed MORE than flashes last year and has developed some consistency in his decision making. Some compare him to Vick, which I think is a bit of an overstatement. McNabb would be more accurate. Wallace will run, but he would prefer to flush from the pocket and find an open WR first. Many feel he'll be like a Randel-El type guy who moves to a slot WR, but I think he's going to be a solid QB...maybe a back-up/slash type like Stewart was or is.
    Leftwich is another guy I'll be keeping an eye on, if he can duplicate last year and maybe even improve his touch a little...he's going to be a game breaker. Not real impressed with Manning, just to big a shadow he's living under. Then again, a good showing this year would change my thinking.
    As for Williams, I'd rather go for a third or fourth round WR. You can get a good one that late and not nearly as big a risk as a first round WR. Look at Burress, the guy had a good year last year but I think alot of that had more to do with design than his effort. The you have guys like Tim Dwight, Kevin Kasper, or Kevin Dyson who are later picks that come on like gangbusters when the opportunity presents itself. (Yes, I know I mentioned two Iowa guys in there. Just the names that came to mind, watch for Ed Hinkle to be the next cracker WR to turn some heads out of the Iowa program.)

4. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    I like Dorsey but he's not a #1. Manning's not coming out, I don't really want to hear his name again. Ragone's stock dropped because his line sucked, so he's not in that same level. Casey Clausen is suddenly not sucky but maybe not a #1 either.

5. LarryD

seneca wallace is much more accurate than dave ragone, i think. and he can elude defenders.

6. Piper

Piper Guest

Larry, you wouldn't be rating Wallace that high out of any recent experiences, eh?

Don't really know anything about him. Scout him anyway.

Agreeed on Ragone. Line sucked ass, but I don't see the dynamic either.

Leftwitch is the all around guy people are gaping at right now, keep an eye out.

Clausen: Arm is there. Accurate. But it'd take time, and as a prospect, not necessarly a TN fan, I'd want to see him play under pressure. The Tennessee line has protected him so well, I'm not sure he realizes what a defensive lineman looks like up close.

He's an underclassman anyway, so unless he has a huge year, he might want to wait with this class.

Anyway, the list should be more than 5 long.

7. LarryD

go for it, y'all...add some more players to the watch list. i feel pretty confident saying the panthers will be having a top 10 pick in 2003.

8. gutter

gutter Ruud Van Nistilroy

Dorsey is another Weinke. We need a nice hot receiver, preferably one that won't kill anyone.

9. Piper

Piper Guest

This should be our short list on people to scout. In no particular order.

Byron Leftwich
    Eli Manning
    Ken Dorsey
    Chris Sims
    Casey Clausen
    Rex Grossman
    Dave Ragone
    Jason Thomas
    Carson Palmer
    Seneca Wallace
    Roy Williams
    Charles Rogers
    Kelly Washington
    Clarence Farmer
    William Joseph
    Jimmy Kennedy
    Andre Johnson
    Lee Evans
    Max Starks
    Dennis Weathersby
    E.J. Henderson
    Brandon Lloyd
    Mario Haggan
    Jarret Johnson

We should also have a long list.

10. gutter

gutter Ruud Van Nistilroy

I'd go Kelly Washington in the 8th pick. Damn is it really going to be that bad of a season when we're scouting next year's draft?